I am trying to make a few points. My reference to the BCP was on the
recommendation to do explicit typing. I'm suggesting that the sd-jwt
document state that include "typ" is a requirement, and to be explicit in
what that value should be.

I would suggest that value be "sd-jwt"

The "application+" mechanism was already deployed when we wrote the BCP --
too late to change that. But sd-jwt is a new token format and can learn
from implementation challenges in the past.