Greg  Crevier ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
> To:  Tim, Paul, Bruce, Nathalia and Helmut:
>
> I am sending this via Topica as I don’t have all of your e-mail
> addresses.
>

> This morning I called Blue Bird Transportation Systems (749-7497)
> regarding the incident that took place with the truck driver on Saturday
> morning and spoke with Erny (sp), the operations manager.  He was
> already aware of the incident, had interviewed the driver and had spoken
> to the Ottawa Police. Here are highlights of his position:
>
>  We were riding dangerously and three abreast
>  We were rude and belligerent with the driver
>  We were riding through red lights
> The Ottawa Policy informed him that we were riding illegally as we were
> not single file.

There's no requirement to ride single file either in the HTA or in local
Ottawa by-laws. A by-law requiring it was rescinded a few years back.
Technically, there is no limit on the number riding abreast. It may be
different beyond the City borders.

The head of the old Regional Police traffic unit used to be Sgt Richard
Lavigne. He agreed with our interpretaion of the law two or three years
back when I discussed club activities with him (on an official basis).
I think it would be worth getting the head of the traffic unit (it
may still be Lavigne) involved as it's not unusual for a cop to
misunderstand how the law applies to cyclists. Some will remember the
humorous exchange we had with an ex-OPP cop (after integration into the
Regional squad) on a Reliability Ride two years ago.

> He did not care that I, or others, might have a very different
> recollection of the situation.

What was it?

--

Avery Burdett