Les Humphreys K ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:
> It used to be in some municipalities that bicycles of a wheelsize less than
> 20" were allowed to use the sidewalk, this to allow kids under a certain age
> to expose themselves to the dangers of the road.

Don't you mean dangers of the sidewalk? Every piece of research I've seen
on the subject shows cyclists on the sidewalk are worse off, even in
interaction with motor vehicles (sidewalks intersect with driveways and
roads where motorists don't expect to see cyclists). Thus children are doubly
exposed to the dangers of sidewalk cycling. The children I refer to are
ones that need adult supervision no matter where they ride. Children (under
supervision of course) should be introduced to vehicular road cycling from the
day they start to ride.

> I have always thought this
> to be a good safety practice, to prevent riders who are too young to know
> right from left from getting mixed up with traffic. It's really too bad that
> this measure is not promoted.

Unfortunately, sidewalk cycling *is* promoted. See the "Young Cyclists Guide"
published jointly by the Province and the OCA.

--

Avery Burdett
Ottawa, Ontario

------