www.mocanu.cartier.md

--- On Mon, 10/4/10, Art&Education <edu-n...@mailer.e-flux.com> wrote:

From: Art&Education <edu-n...@mailer.e-flux.com>
Subject: Curatorial Practice in Contemporary Art – International Symposium
Invitation
To: hieror...@yahoo.com
Date: Monday, October 4, 2010, 12:48 PM

                Curatorial Practice in Contemporary Art – International
Symposium Invitation - Art&Education

                                                October 4, 2010

                                                Igor Zabel Association

                                        Curatorial Practice in Contemporary Art
– International Symposium Invitation

                                        Share this announcement on:

                                        Facebook |
Delicious |
Digg |
Twitter |

Please see at http://www.igorzabelassociation.org for details on program,
participants and lectures, and also for the online video stream of the whole
event.

Exhibition as the Artistic Medium, Curator of Contemporary Art as the Artist.
The Changing Statuses of the Exhibition and the Curator in the Field of
Contemporary Art.

Concept and programming: Beti Zerovc

We are yet to find the answer as to whether and how is an exhibition a form of
art and the curator an artist, however, the debates surrounding these issues,
and especially criticisms and reproaches have become a permanent fixture in the
discourses linked to contemporary art. As it seems that persisting in the
elementary debate and the rejection of such development on the basic level
merely hinder the actual research and understanding as to how do the medium of
the exhibition and its author function and what influence do they have, the
symposium will try to actively confront these issues. Twelve lecturers
attempted to shed some light on these two phenomena, most of them will perform
this by treating and analysing actual contemporary or historical examples.

Participants: Alfred H. Barr jr., Martin Beck, Beatrice von Bismarck, Michael
Fehr, Bogdan Ghiu, Søren Grammel, Paul O'Neill, Kerstin Stakemeier, Mary Anne
Staniszewski, Philip Ursprung, Jelena Vesic, Beti Zerovc and Marko Stamenkovic
as moderator.

The addressed central issues:

- If the exhibition itself is becoming a work of art, what are the main
features of such a work of art? Can we define its structure? Can we define why
is it or isn't it a work of art?

- What makes or doesn't make the curator an author? What makes or doesn't make
the curator an artist?

- Do we still view and enjoy individual artworks within exhibitions or do we
increasingly view, appreciate and contemplate exhibitions themselves? Can or
must we view and enjoy these two things separately or simultaneously? Or should
they merge as in a theatre play or film?

At the same time we would like to remind you that Piotr Piotrowski, honoured as
outstanding art historian of the Central Eastern European region, is the
recipient of Igor Zabel Award for Culture and Theory 2010. Additionally to the
award four working grants are given to the Croatian-British writers and
curators Maja and Reuben Fowkes, to the interdisciplinary Peace Institute from
Ljubljana, to the Romanian curator Raluca Voinea, and to the Bratislava based
art historian Daniel Grúň.

The award ceremony will be held in Barcelona, Spain between 9 and 12 December
2010 accompanied by a conference on Writing Art History at the Museum of
Contemporary of Art (MACBA). More at http://igorzabelassociation.org

Symposium is produced by Igor Zabel Association for culture and theory,
http://www.igorzabelassociation.org

Partner Erste Foundation, http://www.erstestiftung.org

Co-produced by Museum of Modern Art Ljubljana, http://www.mg-lj.si

Contact: