Research Today: Downgrading Danamon to SELL

We have been negative on Danamon (BDMN IJ) for a while now.  Nico has had a
negative rating on this name since April 2008, one of the earliest on the
street.  Great call!

He puts Danamon on a SELL and downgrades earnings by 11-16% for 2008-10.  New
TP Rp2,300/share or 1x PBV gives 21% downside.  Derivatives transactions have
exploded to 4x the bank’s total equity in just two years.

These options tend to have offsetting positions, so Danamon’s exposure to
market risk is limited.  However the increased volatility will not bode well
for the bank’s counterparty and more defaults may follow which in turn result
in more losses for Danamon.

 Major Points

·         BDMN has build-up large volume of derivative transactions since 2006
(revolving around selling FX options to its customers) with notional value
reaching US$4.7bn in 3Q08 or 4x the bank’s total equity.

·         Recent rupiah weakness and increased volatility has raised BDMN’s
counterparty risk.

·         Conditions have been extremely difficult since 3Q08 and could remain
so for the next few quarters so we believe it is prudent to build-in higher
provisioning charges relating to these options and downgrade our 08-09 earnings
by 14-16%.

·         BDMN’s valuation looks cheap from historical PBV valuation but we see
limited upside given ROE compresseion to barely cost of capital, while
uncertainty on BDMN’s derivative transactions remains coupled by pot.

 BDMN’s valuation looks cheap from historical PBV valuation but we see limited
upside given ROE compresseion to barely cost of capital, while uncertainty on
BDMN’s derivative transactions remains coupled by potential slowdown in bank’s
core business

Dario Amran