True that China is buying gold (and I believe they are also switching from
USD to EUR and other hard currency). But particular for gold, US Fed can
somehow control the price since they have the physical assets in huge stock.
By loading and unloading, they can monopolize the price to their vested
interest. But agree that holding gold is protecting from inflation.

As for non ferrous metal, it depends whether China buying is just for stock
purpose or intention to hedge against inflation. If for stocking, the
cheaper price is the better and making the price will be going nowhere and
even tend to sluggish. As earlier, China is also having problem with their
manufacturers. What I believe, China should not only focus the use of
commodities for building infrastructures but more should use for
manufacturing products, enterprise and create jobs. But again who will
consume them?

So, bottom line. If market is shrinking and buying appetite is low, the
price will be going even lower for all product and as well as the resources.

That's why the concern is how to boost the spending in all over the world to
create the real economyc (recovery & grow) rather than stimulus make up...