USD udah kabur duluan dari Indonesia, siapa tu ...

Dow record: Hit and run

Blue-chip leader loses almost 150 points one session
after closing at an all-time high on weak retail
sales, higher oil prices, questions about Iran.
By Alexandra Twin, CNNMoney.com senior writer
May 10 2007: 5:48 PM EDT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Stocks tumbled Thursday,
with the Dow Jones industrial average giving up nearly
150 points one session after ending at an all-time
high, as investors eyed higher oil prices, weak
economic news and lackluster April retail sales.

The Dow (down 147.74 to 13,215.13, Charts) lost 1.1
percent. The broader S&P 500 index (down 21.11 to
1,491.47, Charts) gave up 1.4 percent and the the
tech-fueled Nasdaq composite (down 42.60 to 2,533.74,
Charts) declined 1.7 percent.

  Video More video

Thinking about getting into the stock market? Know the
basics first.
Play video

Get the latest business news with the CNN.com business
bulletin. (May 10)
Play video

Treasury prices rose, lowering the corresponding
yields and the dollar gained versus other major
currencies. Oil prices rose and gold prices plunged.

Stocks: rational exuberance
Stocks have gained over the last five weeks thanks to
first-quarter earnings that have beaten weak
forecasts, many corporate deals and mergers, and more
stock buyback plans.

The climb left the Dow at an all-time high, the S&P
500 within reach of an all-time high and the Nasdaq at
a six-year high.

After such an advance, stocks were vulnerable to a
pullback, analysts said, and Thursday's news provided
the incentive.

On Thursday morning, the government reported that the
March U.S. trade gap widened more than expected and
that April U.S. import prices rose more than expected,
both because of higher oil and gas prices.

A number of the nation's retailers said April sales
were hurt by the impact from higher oil and gas prices
- and the fallout in the housing market

In addition, "there are some rumblings you're hearing
on Iran and there's also the fact that the markets had
a pretty huge rise," said Steven Goldman, market
strategist at Weeden & Co.

Officials from the United States and five other
nations met Thursday in Berlin to discuss Iran's
refusal to comply with U.N. demands that it halt its
nuclear program. Yet, concerns about Iran have been
ongoing.

Fed leaves rate cuts alone
Wall Streeters may have also been taking a second look
at the previous day's Federal Reserve action and
statement, said Bob Gay, managing partner at Fenwick
Advisors.

On Wednesday, the Fed held interest rates steady, as
expected, and said that it remains more worried about
inflation than the pace of economic growth. Following
the statement, stocks rallied, with investors perhaps
breathing a sigh of relief that the central bank
offered no surprises.

However, bonds sold off, on bets that the statement
means the Fed is not likely to cut rates anytime soon.
That perspective may have spread to stocks Thursday.

"The statement, although totally unchanged, is a bit
of an eye opener," said Gay. "It basically says they
can't cut rates now because inflation is still too
high, when the market was pricing in expectations of a
rate cut later this year."

On the flip side, "if they can cut rates later this
year it would be because the economy isn't doing
well," he said. So overall, the statement wasn't too
upbeat for a market looking for reasons to keep
rising.

"Until there's a clear sense of the economy perking up
sometime later this year, as the markets have been
presuming, I think we'll be in a sideways or a
skeptical market," he said.

Friday brings the broader national retail sales report
for April as well as readings on business inventories
and producer prices.

Wall Street's other record breaker
Stock declines were broad based, with 26 out of 30 Dow
stocks declining. The biggest losers included Alcoa
(down $1.10 to $37.63, Charts, Fortune 500), DuPont
(down $1.00 to $50.61, Charts, Fortune 500), Citigroup
(down $0.92 to $53.20, Charts, Fortune 500) and JP
Morgan Chase (down $1.20 to $52.00, Charts, Fortune
500).

Dow stock Johnson & Johnson (down $1.61 to $62.50,
Charts, Fortune 500) lost 2 percent after a U.S. panel
of experts said it wants more restrictions on the use
of anemia drugs in cancer patients and that it wants
more studies done of JNJ's two anemia drugs. The
verdict also affected Amgen (down $5.77 to $57.33,
Charts, Fortune 500), which produces a competing drug.

A variety of gold, silver, steel and oil stocks
slumped as well. Home builders, health care and a
variety of tech stocks sank too, reflecting the broad
nature of the day's decline.

A number of retailers issued dour April sales reports
for stores open a year or more, a retail sector figure
known as same-store sales.

Wal-Mart Stores (down $0.18 to $47.75, Charts, Fortune
500) reported that April same-store sales fell 3.5
percent, worse than expected.

Other companies reporting a drop in sales in the month
included Federated (down $1.72 to $42.10, Charts,
Fortune 500), JC Penney (down $1.41 to $76.80, Charts,
Fortune 500), Dillard's (up $0.51 to $35.60, Charts,
Fortune 500) and Gap (down $0.15 to $18.28, Charts,
Fortune 500). Despite the declines, a number of the
stocks rose on the day, protecting the overall market
from a steeper selloff.

Whole Foods Market (down $4.65 to $41.15, Charts,
Fortune 500) slumped over 10 percent in unusually
active Nasdaq trade after the grocery retailer
reported weaker quarterly earnings that missed
estimates and said that federal regulators have voiced
some antitrust concerns about its purchase of Wild
Oats Market (down $0.32 to $17.78, Charts).

Viacom (down $0.51 to $41.51, Charts) slipped after
the company reported lower quarterly earnings that
beat estimates on higher revenue that beat estimates.

Interpublic Group (down $0.93 to $12.01, Charts,
Fortune 500) slumped 7.2 percent in active New York
Stock Exchange trading after the advertising services
company reported a steeper-than-expected quarterly
loss.

On the upside, shares of JetBlue Airways (up $0.49 to
$10.89, Charts) climbed 4.7 percent after the company
pushed out founder David Neeleman as CEO three months
after an embarrassing service fallout.

Market breadth was negative. On the New York Stock
Exchange, losers beat winners by more than 3 to 1 on
volume of 1.54 billion shares. On the Nasdaq,
decliners topped advancers by a similar margin on
volume of 2.27 billion shares.

Wal-Mart sales worst on record
U.S. light crude oil for June delivery rose 26 cents
to $61.81 a barrel on the New York Mercantile
Exchange.

COMEX gold for June delivery fell $15.50 to settle at
$667 an ounce.

Treasury prices rose, lowering the yield on the
10-year note to 4.64 percent from roughly 4.66 percent
late Wednesday. Treasury prices and yields move in
opposite directions.

In currency trading, the dollar gained against the
euro and slipped versus the yen.

--- James Arifin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> salut buat bung Halim, gajah kuning lagi ajak adu
> gajah londo ... kita lihat
> siapa yang menang yah
>
> On 5/11/07, Dan Severn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> >    gajah kuning ?
> > siapakah itu ?

=== message truncated ===

 spam the boot. Take control with tough spam protection in the all-new Yahoo!
Mail Beta.