--- In obrolan-bandar@yahoogroups.com, Kalyana Mitta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Spot the similarities. A caricature of Mama Laurent, from Indo
leading national newspaper, Kompas, January 5, 2008 (left) and our
photo taken just the day before (right).

> In a market with rising retail participation, what Mama Laurent
says has an impact on the local stock market. As such, our analyst
Hadi and I decided to meet Mama Laurent to find out about what she is
telling investors.
> Overall, Mama Laurent forecasts that 2008 is not a bad year but not
a great year either. She told her clients to look for the perfect rat
hole (opportunity) that will lead to prosperity.
> On Indo political front, Mama Laurent sees a serious political
challenger to President SBY. The candidate has a military background.
> The best sector for this year, in her view, is automotive. Telcos
and consumers will also do OK. She advised her clients to take profit
on mining (especially coal) and property sector. Please bear in mind
that coal, oil, and property are CLSA sales team's top picks this
year!!
> In her view, the business groups that will do great this year
include Bakrie and Artha Graha group.
> Another thing that we found out from the meeting was that she does
not follow soccer. So, don't ask her who will win the Euro 2008.
> We'll write more about this later on of the week.
>
> Research Today (attached):
>
> Indonesia strategy: Mostly Sunny (from Nick Cashmore)
> Despite rain clouds in the global economy, the sun continues to
shine on Indonesia. Barring a sudden retracement in commodity prices,
Indonesia's economy looks set to expand at its fastest clip in a
decade. Commodities will be the main driver, as they have been for
the past five years; investment will also help. Government policy
will also be mildly supportive through greater infrastructure
spending though more ambitious reform looks off the cards. With 28%
ROE, 24% forecast earnings growth and 12.3x 2009 earnings our new JCI
forecast of 3,300 offers 25% upside.
> Resources stocks now account for 30% of market cap (up from 5% five
years ago). Indonesia is a significant player in coal, CPO, rubber,
timber, nickel, bauxite and tin. While we are cautious on base metals
the outlook for soft commodities and energy looks very good. This
underpins a strong macro economic picture with falling leverage.
However, there are some reasons to be cautious: inflation is
uncomfortably high (despite govt targets), global risk tolerance may
change and PE multiples probably have limited upside form here.
> Stocks to hold include:
>
> ·      Bank Rakyat (BBRI IJ - Rp7,500 - BUY) is Asia's most
profitable bank and has the best strategic position among Indonesian
banks, with an unparalleled deposit franchise translating into
superior returns. An increasing share of micro deposits, accelerating
loan growth and lower provisions are key drivers. It also has among
the best exposure to the provinces where growth is fastest.
> ·      Indocement (INTP IJ - Rp8,050 - BUY) is Indonesia's largest
cement producer by capacity remains a conviction stock for 2008.
After meeting management we have modestly revised up our earnings for
next year and now forecast 46% earnings growth until 2010. Interest
rates will remain lower than longer, boosting housing construction
and infrastructure development is on the horizon. The company is also
adding another 3m tonnes to existing capacity by 2010 in order to
meet demand.
> ·      Despite a phenomenal performance this year Bumi Resources
(BUMI IJ -Rp6,350 - BUY) remains a conviction idea for 2008. The
global rise in energy costs is boosting demand for coal and supply
chains are stretched. We are revising up our thermal coal price
forecasts leading to substantial earnings revisions. Meanwhile, the
group's diversification strategy is also coming together with more
deals expected. Last, given size and liquidity we believe the company
now deserves to trade on international peers.
> ·      Astra (ASII IJ - Rp26,400 - BUY) continues to gain momentum
and we expect 2008 to be another good year as both motorcycle and car
sales are set to move higher, which will eventually lead to recovery
in its auto financing business. Key triggers in 2008 will be 1)
interest rate and currency as government have to deal with rising oil
price 2) success rate of Astra Honda new products line up 3) CPO
price as Astra Agro now accounts for 21% of group earnings.
> ·      As Indonesia's dominant gas distribution company, Perusahaan
Gas (PGAS IJ - Rp15,300 - O-PF) is a key beneficiary of rising gas
demand and prices. Its new SSWJ expansion pipeline offers volume and
margin growth as operations are ramped up. The company has been
dogged by execution problems but these are now largely behind the
group and as confidence improves so will the company's stock price.
This is a long-term story, driven by fledgling domestic gas usage
with considerable pricing upside.
> ·      Ciputra Development (CTRA IJ - Rp870 - O-PF) is one of the
country's largest landowners and a prime beneficiary of pending asset
reflation. The group controls a land bank in Jakarta, Surabaya and
Kalimantan that exceeds 2,100ha. Most of this is focused on
residential exposure to the middle-to low income segment, making the
group highly leveraged to housing demand.

> Mining strategy Indonesia: (from Andrew Driscoll)
> The coal plays remains our preferred exposure to the resources
sector. A strong pricing outlook is supported by tight supply-side
dynamics, while market segmentation reduces the impact of a US
slowdown. Base metal equities have corrected on weakening global
growth expectations. We remain generally cautious, but trading
opportunities will emerge. M&A activity is set to continue, which
will contribute to commodity asset price inflation, and support
equity valuations. However, returns are likely to be more subdued
after this years' valuation re-rating. Stock pickers will win, and
our top are picks Bumi Resources and Yanzhou Coal.
> Indonesia:
> Despite a phenomenal performance this year Bumi remains our
conviction resources idea for 2008. The global rise in energy costs
is boosting demand for coal and supply chains are stretched. Bumi
offers strong production growth and significant coal price leverage.
Meanwhile, the group's diversification strategy is also coming
together with more deals expected.
> Amongst the nickel plays we prefer Antam to Inco, but are concerned
with the relative out performance of equities versus the underlying
nickel prices. This is part due to sector M&A, and we are mindful
that neither Inco nor Antam are targets. Valuations are reasonable,
but we forecast declining earnings next year due to nickel prices.
> Economic release this week:
>
> Bank Indonesia will convene  tomorrow to make decision on interest
rate. The consensus is that rate will stay at 8%, after the release
of higher than expected inflation numbers last week.
> 2007 car sales up 35.8%. Total car sales for 2007 were 35.8% higher
than in 2006 (compare this to motorcycle sales which were only 6%
higher). Total unit sales were 432k in 07 v.s. 318k in 06. The
numbers were also some 13% higher than the industry association's
target. Dec 07 car sales were 37k units, +18.6% YoY and -19% MoM.
These are unofficial figures. The CEO of Toyota Astra Motor predicted
that 1Q08 can be weaker than 1Q07, after a very strong 4Q07. However,
the industry is optimistic that total car sales for 08 will exceed
500k units.

> Breaktrough on toll road, by Hadi Susilo
>
> Last Friday the government again showed continuous improvement to
speed up toll road projects by issuing new policy; the Land Capping.

> This Land Capping policy is considered as a breakthrough as the
Government is prepared to accept more of the burden therefore giving
more assurance to toll road investors. In the meeting led by Vice
President Jusuf Kala, it was decided that government will pay the
excess of land acquisition cost if it goes more than 110% of
estimated land price or 2% of total investment cost.

> We are expecting significant land acquisition progress in 2008. The
two listed companies Jasa Marga (JSMR IJ - Rp1,930 - NR) and Citra
Marge (CMNP IJ - Rp2,300 - NR) shall be among the first toll road
concession holders to benefit.

> News Headlines/Others:
>
> The govt will sell stakes in Bank Negara (BBNI IJ). The govt is
planning to sell 3.1% stakes in BBNI. The stakes come from a green
shoe option. BBNI is also planning to issue new shares, about 6.9% of
the total outstanding shares. This is quite a surprise since BBNI
stake sale was not part of the govt's privatization plan for 08.
Previously, IFC is said to be keen to buy the govt's 3.1% green shoe
stake in BBNI. Minister of SOE has mentioned that the govt will do
the placement through a tender process, with 3-4 tender participants.
The tender winner will be allowed to place a director at BBNI.
> Singtel outlined the main basis of its objection to the KPPU
decision. Singtel said that the KPPU decision is not supported by
adequate evidence and argues that the KPPU is trying to impose
sanctions beyond its jurisdiction as it has no power to order
divestment in this case. SingTel filed an appeal with the District
Court of Central Jakarta on 19 December 2007 to dismiss the decision
of the Indo anti monopoly agency KPPU. Singtel owns 35% of TLKM's
mobile subsidiary Telkomsel.

> Excelcomindo (EXCL IJ) plans to spend US$650mn in capex this year.
Bank Mandiri (BMRI IJ) will finance US$450mn of EXCL's capex plan.
Most of the money will be used to build BTS (plan: +2k BTS in 08).
Currently EXCL has 9,947 BTS across the country. As of Dec 07, EXCL
has 15mn subscribers.

> Companies eye coal-bed methane (CBM) projects in Indonesia. 50
Indonesian companies, including Shell, Pertamina, and Bukit Asam
(PTBA IJ) have submitted the proposals to the govt to do CBM projects
in Indonesia. The govt is confident that they could rake in up to
US$2.5bn in investment to develop 90 CBM wells in Indonesia, to
produce up to 100mn cubic feet of gas/day by 2014.

> Pertamina's subsidiary Elnusa set to launch IPO by end of Jan 08.
Elnusa is in oil service business. The plan is to IPO 20% of the new
shares, and the proceeds are expected to contribute up to 45% of the
company's planned capex of US$100mn. Elnusa is currently 51.33% owned
by state owned oil company Pertamina. After the IPO, Pertamin's
shares in Elnusa will be reduced to 41.1%.

> Mud barriers collapse in East Java, forcing hundreds to flee in
panic. This is the mud flow that is linked to Lapindo Brantas'
drilling activities. It started in May 2006 and no sign of stopping.
So far, all efforts to stop the flow have failed. The collapsed
embarkment has caused mud to flow into the area, paralysing the
nearby railway track and road transportation.

> The govt has not decided the gas formula. The govt prefers to
postpone announcing the gas price formula as current gas price is
very high and the govt does not want to use current global price as a
reference. Previously, Perusahaan Gas (PGAS IJ) CEO Sutikno expected
the govt to announce the gas price formula by end of 2007. The
formula will be used as a basis to increase gas prices going forward.
Delay is not good as it means uncertainties.

> The govt will convert Perusahaan Gas (PGAS IJ) debt into shares.
The govt will convert Rp127bn (US$13mn) of pre IPO debt owed by PGAS
into shares in the first quarter of the year. The debt will be
converted to 254mn shares, which is equivalent to 5.6% stake in PGAS.
The ministry for SOE said that they are not planning to divest more
shares in PGAS, even with the latest addition from debt conversion.
> Citra Marga (CMNPIJ) subsidiary Citra Metro Manila Skyways obtain
US$120mn loan from banks. The loan will be used to finance second
phase of US$185mn toll road project.
> Bakrie Brothers(BNBR IJ): local media talking up the stock,
mentioning investors from Abu Dhabi and Quatar looking to acquire a
very large stake at 325/sh. Maybe tied in with current rumors of a
planned rights issue? All rumors, but no details for now.

> Politics: Golkar asked the govt to end the legal process against 86
year old ex President Suharto. Golkar is the biggest political party
in the parliament, contolling 23.3% seats. Suharto was rushed to
Pertamina Hospital on Friday after suffering from anemia and a severe
edema.
> Key Indicators:
>
> JCI: 2,765.19, YTD: +0.71%
>

> ADR:
> TLKM US$41.86 = IDR9,889.95
> ISAT US$45.32 = IDR8,565
>
> This week is a short week, with only 3 working days. Indo market
will be closed on Thursday and Friday for Islamic New Year.

> There is a certain amount of nervousness in markets at the moment.
Friday's rally was short lived and there will be some selling today.
However, the resource names remain attractive to investors and
investors are continuing to move into energy and soft commodities.
Increasingly CPO prices are linked to CPO prices and high oil prices
lead to higher CPO prices. Indonesia is the world's largest CPO
producer, and linked stocks are doing well. This includes Golden Agri
Resources (GGR SP) as well as a number of local names. The major risk
in Indonesia at the moment seems to be the Rupiah. It is again
flirting with the 9,500 level, a level seen as important in terms of
importing inflation. With high oil prices and a weak Rupiah there
appears to be little room for Bank Indonesia to cut interest rates in
the short term.

> Best regards,
> Wuddy Warsono, CFA
> CLSA Indonesia | Institutional Sales
> Phone:  (62-21) 573 9460
> HP: (62) 816 78 6352
> Fax: (62-21) 574 6923
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  Send instant messages to your online friends
http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

  SIP : TBUMI
  Dalam hidup ini janganlah percaya dengan segala macam
  lamaran. Bila omongan sang pelamar tsb jitu, tentu yg
  bersangkutan akan menjadi orang terkaya di dunia dan tak
  usah jadi pelamar lagi.
  Hanya org yg stress baru pergi mencari pelamar karena
  sdh tak percaya dgn kemampuan diri sendiri.
  Carilah TUHAN dan bukanlah pelamar dari mana saja.

Kirim email ke