=DJ UPDATE: Qatar Telecom Chairman: To Make Indosat Tender Offer

(Adds further comment from Qatar Telecom, statement from Indonesian minister,
KPPU chairman) JAKARTA (Dow Jones)--Qatar Telecom (QTEL.DO) will make a general
tender offer for PT Indonesia Satellite Corp. (ISAT.JK) shares, its chairman
said Monday. The Qatari company signed an agreement last week to buy a 40.8%
stake in Indosat from Asia Mobile Holdings Pte. Ltd. for $1.8 billion. "I think
we will (make) it," Qatar Telecom Chairman Sheik Abdulla MS Al-Thani told
reporters in Jakarta when asked about the tender offer. He added that it was
premature to comment in detail on the tender offer, which will be triggered by
Indonesian takeover rules. "This is not a completed process. Until further
steps we will not mention any specific (detail). But we are actively engaged
with regulators," said Qatar Telecom Chief Executive Nasser Marafih. Based on
Indonesian law, any company that buys more than a 25% stake in another company
must make a tender offer. Asia Mobile Holdings is unit held by the Qatari
mobile operator and Singapore Technologies Telemedia Pte. Ltd., a subsidiary of
Singapore's state-investment company Temasek Holdings Pte. Ltd. ST Telemedia
owns 75% of Asia Mobile and Qatar Telecom owns 25%. The deal for Qatar Telecom
to buy the Indosat stake was reached Friday and payment will be made in cash,
ST Telemedia and Qatar Telecom said. Analysts said the deal values Indosat
shares at IDR7,388 each, a premium of 31% when compared with Indosat's closing
price of IDR5,650 Friday. Indosat shares were suspended from trading Monday,
pending delivery of official documents to the Indonesia Stock Exchange. ST
Telemedia's decision to sell its stake in Indosat follows a legal dispute that
began last November, when Indonesia's antitrust regulator, KPPU, said Temasek
violated antimonopoly laws by holding indirect stakes in both Indosat and
mobile phone carrier PT Telkomsel. "I know the case is right now in the Supreme
Court. We will wait and see what the Supreme Court ruling is. Of course, we
will obey (the ruling)," Al-Thani said. He said that his company will bear any
legal responsibility that could be raised after the Supreme Court issues its
verdict. Temasek owns 56% of Singapore Telecommunications Ltd. (Z74.SG), which
has a 35% stake in Telkomsel, Indonesia's largest cellular operator. Temasek
also owns ST Telemedia, which in turn holds a majority stake in Asia Mobile. In
May, an Indonesian district court upheld an earlier ruling that ST Telemedia
and SingTel were guilty of using their dominant position to charge excessive
prices for mobile phone calls. The court ordered either ST Telemedia or SingTel
to divest their stakes within a year. Both companies last month appealed that
ruling with the Supreme Court, which has yet to make a decision. Meanwhile,
Sofyan Djalil, Indonesia's minister for state-owned affairs, said that the
government welcomes Qatar Telecom's entry in Indosat. "We don't have any
problem (with the stake sale) as long as Qatar Telecom doesn't break any laws,"
Djalil said. Djalil also said that the government doesn't have a plan to sell
its 14.29% stake in Indosat, the nation's second largest cellular operator by
subscribers. Separately, KPPU Chairman Muhammad Iqbal said the Indosat-Qatar
Telecom deal "ignored KPPU's ruling and disregarded Indonesian laws in
general." "KPPU's view is the deal wasn't in line with our rulings, which
demanded that the stake sale not involve an affiliated company," said Iqbal. He
added that stake sale disregarded Indonesian laws as it was executed when the
Supreme Court was still deciding on the antimonopoly case.

Kirim email ke