Kita lagi nonton:
Mr. Market vs Mr. Market Manipulator
Investor vs Konsumen

Biar gimana Mr. Market pasti menang. Segala bentuk intervensi membutuhkan
dana besar. Pelarangan short sell dan pengambilalihan oleh pemerintah US
membuat pasar menjadi tidak normal, dan tidak ada efek bagus, malah injeksi
$ gede-gedean malah memperparah ekonomi.

Dilain sisi pelarangan short sell malah "mengaburkan" kondisi perusahaan
yang lagi carut marut. Lehman sahamnya turun 99.99% karena short sell, lah
kenyataanya emang bangkrut..

Fed dan pemerintah Amerika punya kekuatan dan kemampuan yang besar untuk
mengintervensi pasar, akuisisi, nurunin rate, dsb, namun ada satu yang tidak
bisa: menciptakan real money.

Disadur dari artikel di http://www.dailyreckoning.com/

Buat investor:
Optimis sajalah™, jika kita ketemu IHSG<1000 spt yang diramalkan pak Oen,
mungkin 10 tahun lagi kita 10x lebih kaya dari sekarang, seperti yang
dialami investor yang mungut "sampah" tahun 1997 dan profit taking tahun
lalu. Emas bisa jadi alternatif investasi.

Buat trader:
Satu-satunya jalan biar bisa exist di bursa cuma memanfaatkan tech. rebound,
seperti yang baru kita rasakan kemarin, dan ini perlu TA banget gitu loh,
dan hasilnya sangat menggairahkan ya..hehe

Regards,
DE
*

"I've never seen anything like it," said Capital &
Crisis<http://www.isecureonline.com/Reports/FST/EFSTJ935/>'
Chris Mayer.

The Dow rose more than 400 points. Gold was up $46 at the close of the day.
The dollar is falling…oil is holding steady.

We're hosting a meeting of financial analysts here at our conference center
in Normandy. Last night, after dinner, we all gathered around a computer
screen - amazed, aghast and appalled.

"I can't believe it…" "Incredible…" "What will they think of next?"

Your Daily Reckoning editor loved it. He didn't know what to laugh at first!

>From England came word that the financial regulators had banned short
selling of financial stocks. What did they think…that they could keep prices
up by decree?

But the Americans did the same thing, only dumber. The SEC issued an
emergency edict prohibiting "abusive" short selling. What the heck is that,
we wondered?

Maybe it's when you sell a company when the share price has already fallen
more than 10%… Like kicking a man when he's down; it's not very sporting.

The feds announced a program of coordinated intervention…with $250 billion
to be made available to the financial industry to cover its bad debts…

And get this…CNBC: "Bad Debt Plan May Cost up to a Half a Trillion Dollars."

Where do the feds get that kind of money? Ha…ha…ha…

But we're not the only ones… Russia is new to the ways of late, degenerate
capitalism. But it's getting the hang of it fast. It too is manipulating
markets with a $20 billion injection "to boost the stock market."

And then, there's this item from Bloomberg:

The latest crises "expose the flaws" and "tarnish the image" of the U.S.
economy.

They're missing the point completely. It is not "flaws" that are being
exposed - it's the whole consumer economic model and the whole generation of
jackass economists who created it. They rejected the insights of classical
economics. Instead of encouraging saving and capital formation, they thought
they could nurture growth by luring consumers to spend more money.

"Tarnish the image?" No, this crisis will eventually destroy the image
altogether, not tarnish it.

But let us return to the story as we've been telling it. There's a war going
on…a battle between a natural market correction…and an artificial attempt to
avoid it. On the one hand, Mr. Market wants to correct the excesses of the
boom/bubble period that began in 1982. On the other, Misters Bernanke and
Paulson want to prevent him. Mr. Market takes down asset prices. Mr. Market
Manipulators push them back up.

We know who the ultimate victor will be. Mr. Market never loses. One way or
another, real prices must come down. That's just the way it works. Night
follows day…whether you like it or not. Stocks, bonds, property, art become
expensive…and then they become cheap. Recently, they've been expensive…soon,
they will be cheap.

As recently as a few months ago, it looked like the feds might be able to
hold off a correction. Government-caused inflation was pushing up prices all
over the world. Oil hit $147. Gold shot over $1000. Investors were getting
rich in Chinese stocks and London property. Consumer price inflation was
rising everywhere. Back then, it looked like consumers would be the big
casualties of this war. They were facing much higher prices…with declining
incomes.

But then, financial institutions began to take incoming…and pretty soon…the
whole battalion of investors, worldwide, were getting beaten back. Stock
market investors suffered flesh wounds in the United States; the Dow is down
about 17%. In China, investors have practically had their heads blown off;
the Shanghai index has lost 67%. Commodity investors got whacked too. Oil is
down a third from its high. Yesterday, it closed at $97. Gold lost a quarter
of its value, from the high. And investors in many of the safest, surest and
smartest companies on earth - investment banks, mortgage lenders, and other
financial institutions - have been wiped out.

But this week reminds us that the war isn't over. The feds still have some
ammunition left. The Fed has 200 basis points left to zero; it can cut rates
further. The government can intervene directly in markets; it can seize
companies; it can lend to anyone at half the rate of inflation; it can send
out checks… In fact, judging on recent evidence, it can do anything…

…but the one thing it cannot do is create real money. Every intervention
costs money. And money is the one thing the feds don't have. Not real money.
They only have phony money. And when investors finally realize the
difference - between real money and funny money - that's when things will
get very, very interesting.

So far, only one major asset class has escaped Mr. Market's correction:
bonds. U.S. Treasury bonds have gone up (meaning, yields have gone down) as
investors sought the safety of what used to be, and should be, the surest
credit on earth. But bonds depend on not only on the ability of the issuer
to repay…but also the value of the money in which they are calibrated. And
if that money starts to sink in value, bonds take a hit.

U.S. Treasury bonds are unique. They depend on the value of the dollar…which
the issuer itself controls. But as the war between Mr. Market and the feds
continues, the U.S. Treasury will have a harder and harder time maintaining
the value of the dollar. Because wars are costly. The feds will have to
stretch the dollar farther and farther in order to meet the expense.
Eventually, the elastic dollar will snap…and bonds investors will have their
turn. Bonds will crumple over too…

Dear Reader, this war has already caused millions of casualties…from Wall
Street's masters of the universe…to the little guy with a sub-prime mortgage
on his double-wide. But when the shooting stops and the smoke clears - only
one man will be left standing. That man will be gold. Make sure you are
standing next to him. Find out how you can get some golden insurance - without
making a dent in your bank
account<http://www.isecureonline.com/Reports/OST/EOSTJ943/>
.

---------------------

The Daily Reckoning PRESENTS: AIG…Lehman…Fannie…they believed their own
guff! It wouldn't be the first time that something like this happened. Read
on…

THE DUMBEST MAN IN AMERICA
by Bill Bonner

Where did he go wrong? The question probably crossed his mind…perhaps even
when he mounted the scaffold on January 21, 1793. The Bourbons had been the
most successful family in Europe. They had ruled Europe's biggest and
richest country since Henry IV. And now they were on thrones all over
Europe. But in the language of the City, Louis 16th blew himself up. He was
supposed to be an absolute monarch. Ah…there was the dynamite! He believed
it. He had surrounded the Parliament with troops and turned the country
against him. And now, he had absolutely no control over anything. Not even
the power to save his own skin.

"Sire, you have committed something worse than a crime; you have committed
an error…" Talleyrand might have told him. Poor Louis! He already had the
bag over his head. And the blade at his neck. He must have felt like the
dumbest man in France.

Dick Fuld must have felt pretty dumb too. His firm had survived the Civil
War, the Railroad Bankruptcies of the late 19th century, the Bankers' Panic
of 1907, the Crash of '29, the Great Depression, WWII, the Cold War; Lehman
Bros. had outlasted spats, prohibition and disco music. But it couldn't keep
its head through the biggest financial boom in history.

John Edwards, recently claimed the title of the "dumbest man in America,"
when the press got wind that he was two-timing his wife and running for
president at the same time. But Edwards has more competition every day. By
Monday of this week, Fuld had completely destroyed Lehman Bros. In January
of 2007, the financial industry put a value on the firm - a company it knew
well - of $48 billion. This week, the bid went to zero. And then, on
Wednesday, came more disquieting news: the world's largest insurance
company, AIG, was failing. Martin Sullivan had run it into the ground, said
the analysts. Now, it needed an $85 billion bailout.

There was no one there to bail out Louis when he needed it. France was not
too big to fail; it was too big to bail out. And everything had been going
so well! When Jacques Turgot was Controller-General, he was getting rid of
the internal customs barriers, lifting price controls, abolishing the trade
guilds and the corvee (the system of forced labor used to build roads). The
political system was being reformed too - evolving towards a parliamentary
democracy.

But along came those plucky Americans to stir up trouble. They sucked France
into war with Britain. France supplied money, materiel and troops - landing
5,000 soldiers in Rhode Island and ultimately winning the war by blockading
Lord Cornwallis at Yorktown.

"The first shot will drive the state to bankruptcy," Turgot warned the king.
He was right. By 1786, the French were in desperate straits, with half the
population of Paris unemployed and a national debt equal to 80% of GDP. The
French were counting on the Americans to begin repaying their $7 million in
loans, but the United States was broke too. And soon, French credit was so
bad, the king could no longer borrow from the moneylenders in Amsterdam nor
even from his own creditors in Paris. Having borrowed too much, Louis no
longer had any room to maneuver. All he could do was to march up the
scaffold steps like a real monarch…

And now the heads roll on Wall Street. James Cayne at Bear Stearns. Stanley
O'Neal at Merrill Lynch. Charles Prince of Citigroup. But who's the dumbest?
Surely Dan Mudd and Dick Syron at Fannie and Freddie are still in the
running. Even with the deck stacked in their favor, they couldn't stay in
the game. And let's not forget the rescuers - Ben Bernanke and Hank Paulson.
They've practically nationalized not only America's mortgage industry…but,
taking an 80% stake in AIG, the insurance industry too! Where does the money
come from? It's borrowed too - hundreds of billions worth. Surely, there's a
guillotine waiting for them somewhere.

The last 15 years have been too kind to finance. Wall Street and the City
are essentially debt mongers; and in the boom, nobody didn't want to borrow.
Financial profits soared. Since 1980 the profits of the U.S. financial
sector as a portion of GDP have gone up 200%. Industry owners and managers
could have taken their money off the table and retired to Greenwich. But on
the back of this outsize success grew a monstrous hump of self-delusion; the
masters of the universe began to believe their own grotesque guff. The
financial markets were perfect, said the academics. All-knowing and
all-seeing, they wouldn't make a mistake. And the chiefs at the big
financial firm must have thought they supped with the gods themselves; they
had the paychecks to prove it.

Of course, some Wall Street bosses were more cunning than others. In selling
itself to Bank of America, for example, Merrill Lynch dodges the scaffold;
but it becomes a ward of the state, almost like Fannie and Freddie before
they were kidnapped outright. Bank of America has easy access to Fed funds;
Merrill figures it might need more money too.

The old regime on Wall Street was dominated by just five large investment
companies. But the more they talked their own books, they more they came to
think it was true - they were all too big, too smart and too rich to fail.
Not only did they package and sell explosive packages of debt; they put the
stuff in their own vaults too. Now, Lehman, Bear, and Merrill have blown
themselves up. Only two more to go.

Enjoy your weekend,

Bill Bonner
The Daily Reckoning