Oh wait, it just doesn't sort the messages in a useful manner.

https://lists.observium.org/hyperkitty/list/observium@lists.observium.org/message/IDFD4X2XZED656ISB6YQPP5TIYXQNUYJ/

You're trying to do the matching in the wrong part of the alert config. The test conditions is not a suitable place to do entity associations, that's what association ruleset is for.

The two conditions likely didn't work because you only have limited control over the logic on the test conditions, but it's really not worth thinking about it too much. Just do the association in the association ruleset using the probe description, that does contain the hostname. Because you put it there.

adam.