Hi Camilla, although these kind of scenes which you have witnessed are
unfortunate and you would much rather not have layed eyes on such an
event, your reaction after having recovered emotionally, should be one of
gratitude to the police for actually being pro-active in keeping the slime
under control on our behalf. i do sympathize with you, but let us put a
positive spin in this unpleasant experience of yours.

the cops were out there, they apprehended those who broke the law and made
them understand in no uncertain terms that their actions would not be
tolerated. let us be grateful for their presence. if those perpetrators
did not break the law, they would not have had to endure such hardships,
so they essentially brought it upon themselves. take consolation from that
camilla. what we should hope for is that the SAPS's reaction to those
crimes are publicised in such a big way that it might hopefully reach even
one potential criminal and who knows,..possible act as a preventative
measure.
we always endeavour to rather deter crime as opposed to reacting to it.

hope you are ok

regards
jw

> I have witnessed two incidents where police used what appeared to be
> unseemly force, in both instances *after* successfully making arrests.
> Both were outside my house in Woodstock, in the early hours of the
> morning. In the first, a handcuffed perp on his knees was being
> repeatedly sprayed in the face with pepper spray. He was a drunk/high
> driver who had been trying to evade arrest and came to a stop by
> crashing into a neighbour's car. In the second, a guy had apparently
> been caught breaking into a car. He was struck repeatedly before being
> loaded into the van. He was crying out but at the time I didn't take
> it too seriously, until I saw a pool of his blood on the street in the
> morning. I also took the view that I had walked in halfway through the
> incident and didn't know what had led to it. But it still made me very
> uneasy. I did consider approaching the ICD on both occasions. I'm not
> sure what we should do in those instances? I was thrilled to see the
> police officers succeed in making arrests and taking dangerous people
> off the street, but I felt and still feel uneasy standing by while
> subdued villains get assaulted. Any advice or views?

"You may choose to live your life in pieces or you may choose to live your
life in peace,...we cannot start over and change the beginning, but we can
start now and change the end,..."