I arrived home on Monday evening to a letter from a neighbour:

“On Tuesday 8th June I will be hosting a party to celebrate the last
performance of a play I was involved in producing. This party will be
held from 12pm to 4am at 41 Lytton Road and could be quite loud.
Please excuse any inconvenience this party may cause to your
household. Thank you for understanding.”

I was immediately alarmed, but pacified myself with the thought that
the parents would keep it under control, and that a handful-or-so of
kids would attend. Imagine my surprise when, at about 11h45, a disco
starting blaring out club-like music, and swarms of kids arrived
(there were probably (50-75 of them there). The music was deafening,
and the kids were shouting above it – it was far worse than any
nightclub, and in the middle of a residential area, in the early hours
of the morning.

I tried to sleep with ear-plugs, a hat and much padding, but that
barely helped. There was nowhere to escape in my own house: I tried
the spare bedroom, which is at the far end of the house, with the
interleading doors closed, but it made absolutely no difference.

As far as I’m concerned, a party of this magnitude is unacceptable at
any hour of the day, any day of the week, but on a week day, starting
at midnight is just utterly beyond belief and is a blatant disregard
for consideration.

Sending out a letter asking for patience and understanding in advance
does not condone the action. And saying that “it could get loud” when
you have invited so many people and plan on using disco equipment is a
blatant lie. Why could this party not have been held at a suitable
venue – such as wherever the play was held? Where were the parents – I
can assure you that they were not at home at the time? When I left for
work this morning, there were no lights on at 41 Lytton – the rest of
us didn't have the luxury of sleeping in. It’s break-up day for
schools today, so I guess the kids in question are happily sleeping it
off – while the rest of us have to put in a solid days’ work and try
to survive the day on next to no sleep.

Thank you, Naude family!