From: stephen van der spuy
Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2015 10:21 AM
To: obsnw@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [obsnw] Digest for obsnw@googlegroups.com - 9 updates in 3 topics

The best crime-prevention in Observatory is visible policing ... not expensive
security cameras.     Regards, Stephen

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 2:22 PM, <obsnw@googlegroups.com> wrote:

        obsnw@googlegroups.com  Google Groups

  Topic digest
  View all topics
    a.. Spate of Drug Dealer Arrests in Observatory by Woodstock SAPS - 22 to
24 April 2015 - 4 Updates
    b.. Attempted Armed Robbery: Main Road - Wednesday Evening - 22 April 2015
- 4 Updates
    c.. Is crime and instability not related to the way oureconomy is
structured? - 1 Update
  Spate of Drug Dealer Arrests in Observatory by Woodstock SAPS - 22 to 24
April 2015 James Cowley <jamesobs...@gmail.com>: Apr 26 11:58PM +0200

        A spate of drug dealer arrests were recently reported by Constable
Berry,
        the Woodstock SAPS Sector 1 Manger for Observatory. On Thursday 22
        April just before 8 pm a drug dealer, who was operating along the Lower
        Main Road, was spotted by him and Constable Frank Ontong. The drug
dealer
        tried to run away but was chased by them on foot. He was caught with 12
        packets of 'tik' and immediately arrested.

        Later, just past 10 pm, the two Woodstock SAPS Constables caught another
        drug dealer who was operating at Trump Towers in front Ezithebeni Braai
        Lounge pub on Lower Main Road Observatory. He apparently was found with
        lots of drugs and tik on him, and subsequently arrested.

        On Friday night at around 9 pm Constable Berry conveyed that they were
        monitoring a drug dealer's home who operates in the Observatory area.
        Later they entered and searched through the home but neither the dealer
or
        any drugs were found. They subsequently managed to find the dealer on
        Lower Main Road, searched him, but nothing was found on him. The club,
        Ezitherbeni were later searched through by them for drugs but nothing
was
        found there. He noted that SAPS will keep the pressure up regarding the
        drug trafficking in Obs.

        Soon after at 11 pm Constable Berry conveyed that they caught a Nigerian
        drug dealer who was operating in Lower Main Road. They noticed his car,
        pulled him over and searched the vehicle. They eventually found a packet
        of 'tik' in a hidden compartment inside the vehicle's dash board. The
drug
        dealer was arrested, and I assume, the vehicle was impounded.

        The success of these arrests is contributed to Constable Berry and
Ontong
        going around in an unmarked SAPS vehicle and wearing plain clothes
while on
        duty. Captain Althea Jeftha, an ex Woodstock Officer and a former 'tough
        roaring tiger' in Woodstock, having been transferred to the Cape Town
Drug
        Squad a few years ago, is still on the rampant and often performs drug
        operations in the wider Cape Town areas and in the Woodstock precinct
from
        time to time.

        Never the less, The ONW is proud to have Constable Mark Berry as ouur
        Secttor Manger and his shadow, Constable Frank Ontong, doing the rounds
in
        Observatory in their marked Police van or in unmarked vehicles, and
just as
        appreciative to the Sector 1 SAPS Patrol vehicle Shift Staff who are
often
        seen patrolling the empty streets by day or night. Thank you Woodstock
        SAPS!

        Frank Schuitemaker <fschuitema...@gmail.com>: Apr 27 11:17AM +0200

        Well done Messrs Berry and Ontong for cleaning up LMR Drug scene, how
many
        to go?

        Also thanks for sorting out some of the rogue clubs and pubs.

        Time for some of them to move far far away from Obs and serenity to
return
        to our lovely village..

        Natalie Leon <nataliehelenel...@gmail.com>: Apr 27 10:52AM +0200

        Sorry about all the the typos, sent too early...
        Natalie

        _______________________________
        Natalie Leon
        Senior Scientist
        Health Systems Research Unit
        Medical Research Council of South Africa

        natalie.l...@mrc.ac.za
        +27-79-501-2179
        Skype: colveone

        On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 10:51 AM, Natalie Leon
<nataliehelenel...@gmail.com>
        wrote:

        Natalie Leon <nataliehelenel...@gmail.com>: Apr 27 10:51AM +0200

        This is very encouraging indeed. Thanks for keeping us in the loop. If
ONW
        can support these police efforts in any way, e.g through local eyes on
the
        roade tuype intelligencea nd quick communication via WHAT'S APP, there
may
        yet be some way to turn the tide around.
        Natalie

        On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 11:58 PM, James Cowley <jamesobs...@gmail.com>