Hi Marcel,

> De : Marcel Holtmann
>
> Hi Benoit,
>
> the friendly modem name is for devices that do have a friendly name,
> like Bluetooth headsets. Why do you wanna misuse the interface name
> here. I am a bit against this, because it leads to speculation and
> assumptions in userspace programs.

Maybe I should give some details of what I'm trying to achieve. The
device we're building has 2 identical modems with fixed position on
USB. We also have the possibility to drive their power supply
independently and to swap the sim cards.

I need a way to know which one is modem A and which one is modem B
and I have no easy way of knowing the modem serial number or the
sim subscriber id beforehand. With an udev rule, I can easily set
a fixed name for the network interface of each modem. But under
ofono, I can't tell which modem is which. That's why I added this
"not-so-friendly" name.

Is there a way of knowing which physical modem ofono is refering to ?
I recognize that our case may not be the most common and I understand
that you don't want to abuse the Name property. Maybe exposing the
NetworkInterface as a modem property would be ok ? or exposing
a PhysicalName ?

--
Benoît.