Hi,

On 08 Dec 2010, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> So I am actually thinking that doing that inside PulseAudio is a lot
> more efficient solution.
>
> The idea is that PA already runs in the user session and has to monitor
> the uplink/downlink state (and additionally could monitor call states
> as well if needed). So it knows when a call is active and it is active
> anyway doing the audio processing. So it could just then go ahead and
> write your call accounting into Tracker.

Pulseaudio (or the meego PA modules for voice) isn't really an option
for at least the following reasons:
 - lots of modems still handle all audio and PA will know nothing
   about calls at all with these modems
 - PA does not really care about individual calls, but whether
   the audio traffic channel is connected or not
        - multi-call cases, cases were traffic channel is reconnected
        mid-call, etc, etc, PA simply does not know enough (and should
        not)

I guess this could be done in higher layers on top of oFono (telepathy-ring,
dialer app, policy framework, etc), but I don't really know enough about
the call timer stuff to comment on the pro/cons of this.

br,
--
Kai Vehmanen