Hi Denis,

On 01/21/2011 02:04 PM, ext Denis Kenzior wrote:
Hi Lei,

On 01/21/2011 03:48 PM, Lei Yu wrote:
Hi Denis,

On 01/21/2011 01:04 PM, ext Denis Kenzior wrote:
Hi Lei,

+        string Type [readonly, optional, experimental]
+
+            String representing the type of the modem device.
+
+            The possible values are:
+                "gsm"     Modem supports one or more of the 3GPP
+                    family of technologies including GSM,
+                    EDGE, UMTS, HSPA, LTE.
+                "cdma"  Modem supports one or more of the 3GPP2
+                    family of technologies including CDMA 1x,
+                    EVDO.
+                "hfp"    Bluetooth hands-free profile (HFP) modem
+

So one pointed question:

How are we planning to support dual-mode devices with this property?  I
believe during the CDMA workshop we decided that the clients should
simply look at the set of interfaces, not a semi-static property...

We understand that the decision during the CDMA workshop but as we
explained one use case in the cover letter
(http://lists.ofono.org/pipermail/ofono/2011-January/007890.html) for
this RFC, there will be cases where atom's D-Bus I/F is not suitable (or
as a reliable way) for telling what is current mode (CDMA or GSM). E.g.,
in the case of retrieving serial number from modem. Currently both CDMA
and GSM shares the same I/F (ofono.org.modem) rather than having
separate (ofono.org.cdma.modem). And, further if no other atom has been
instantiated, then, there will be no other way to tell which mode (CDMA
or GSM) the modem is. And, further for displaying serial number, upper
layer will need to know it is CDMA or GSM. In case of CDMA, the serial
number is MEID and GSM it is IMEI. As explained in cover letter, we
anticipate more cases like this.

So let us say I have a dual-mode modem.  Are there now two serial
numbers? One for MEID and one for IMEI?  Are there now two
Manufacturers? Two Revisions?

Try to clarify what you try to ask first. Let's start with the dual-mode
case where the modem is integrated modem (one piece of HW) where it
supports both CDMA and GSM. Then, there is case where the phone actually
has both MEID and IMEI. And, these two numbers are actually the same
(note, per IMEI's assignment there is a pre-arranged segment for this
kind of world phone). And, in which case, one manufacture, one revision.
Per the other thread, in which case the "Type" will be something like
"gsm_cdma".

So how does the modem type help you here if you have 'gsm_cdma'?  Is the
modem giving you a MEID? An IMEI?  I'm not convinced the Type helps you
in any way.  It might help you for HFP, but certainly not the dual mode
case.

First, our original use case is really for a single mode case, not dual mode. Please see our cover letter in our original RFC. Please do let us know if you agree or disagree whether there is a problem needing to be solved for single mode case. Second, in case of the example I gave above, modem will provide one serial number which is both MEID and IMEI since they are identical. In which case based on "Type" setting to "cdma_gsm", it will be upper layer's choice to do the processing. E.g., upper layer can do something like: MEID/IMEI: xxxxxxx.

Of course, there can be case where two physical modems are in the device
in which case there will be two separate serial numbers and two
manufacturers and revisions. I am assuming you are not asking for this
case.

Yes, I'm ignoring the true dual-mode dual-radio case right now.

Regards,
-Denis

Regards,
-Lei