Hi Guillaume,

> >> I agree here, the work to be done over all manufacturers will be
> >> fastidious and might require a lot of dongles that we don't have currently.
> >> Maybe we could do as Ying An proposed as we are sure ATI works for
> >> Huawei and ZTE (at least the ones we have).
> >> However, conerning ZTE I haven't seen any CDMA dongle for the moment.

> >> First, ATI command is working without sending AT+CFUN=1, we could keep
> >> CFUN=1 into enable() as we do some vendor/modem type specific job there.
> >>
> >> Then vendor plugin can be chosen using udevng using Vendor ID, however
> >> driver type (CDMA/GSM) can't lie on the Product ID. So it will be hard
> >> to chose the right vendor plugin with right type.
> >> And if we can't send AT command before enable() time we will face to bag
> >> end e.g. :
> >> For huawei plugin we send GSM specific AT command (AT^RFSWITCH) during
> >> the enable() time.
> >> We are also querying the sim state using polling mechanism that might
> >> fail for CDMA modems that is not using SIM.
> >> What would you suggest here?
> > as I said before, no AT commands before ->enable() callback from the
> > core.
> >
> > The callback ->probe() is for accepting the modem driver binding and
> > allocating modem specific data memory. The callback ->remove() is for
> > cleanup.
> >
> > The callbacks ->enable(), ->disable() and ->set_online() are the only IO
> > entry points for every modem driver. And we need to keep it like this.
>
> Ok, so I suggest to do the ATI at the very beginning of ->enable() callback.

the first command has to be always ATE0 +CMEE=1 since otherwise you a)
can not use the permissive syntax parser and b) your error values will
be useless.

But yes, after that it is fine to send ATI.

> Then depending on the ATI answer:
>      - tag the huawei modem data with GSM / CDMA type.
>      - send the GSM / CDMA specific AT commands followed by AT+CFUN=1.

What different commands depending on GSM or CDMA do you actually have?

The AT^RFSWITCH=? is exactly designed to handle if that command is
supported or not. There are plenty of GSM versions of the Huawei that do
not support AT^RFSWITCH. You do need to know if this is supported or
not.

Also we do not send AT+CFUN=1 in ->enable() callback. We bring the modem
into offline mode. The only time you send AT+CFUN=1 is if you have
hardware that does not support online/offline distinction. So if this is
true for Huawei CDMA modems, then the obvious questions is why that is
the case? Or is this a bug with our CDMA support not supporting offline
mode.

> We should not longer make the difference between "huawei" and
> "huaweicdma" into udevng.
> It also means there is one unified plugin.

That is totally fine.

> > The callback ->pre_sim(), ->post_sim() and ->post_online() are the entry
> > points for selecting atom drivers. These are not allowed to do IO
> > directly either.
>
> Here, using the tagged type, the plugin can decide which driver to use
> to create atom.
> Does it sound ok to you?

Fine with me.

Regards