Hi Mattias,

On 3/11/20 7:46 AM, mattias.mans...@verisure.com wrote:
We are writing a ofono driver/plugin for a new Quectel modem based on a qualcomm chipset.
This modem has a wwan interface that needs to be "connected" after the context
is activated, partially to allow the host to run dhcp. It can be done either using QMI or
with a special qualcomm command AT$QCRMCALL. We want to control it using AT, as we have
found several issues with QMI. But we are having some trouble figuring out where this
command should be called in the ofono state machine, at least in the LTE case where the
context is automatically activated. If we activate the context manually, we could just
add that call in the end of the context activation. But if we for the automatic case add
this command when we receive PDN ACT 1 and the AT command fails (which right now happens
sometimes), we end up in a state where we can't try again, because the context is already
activated. So we can't really find the best way to do this...

I guess you would have to build in logic to retry the command as part of the .read_settings operation. In other words, try to retry your AT$MAGIC command several times prior to giving up. Or contact your modem vendor to fix their firmware :)

Another issue I wanted to ask is that when we get an automatic context
activation on 4G, we don't get the APN set from the network in the AT+CGDCONT?
response. According to Quectel, this is just how their modem work. It will only
show manually set APN from that response. Is this normal for any other modules?
And how to solve the problem that ofono wants the APN when calling
ofono_gprs_cid_activated when we get the CGEV saying the PDN is active?

By 4G you mean UMTS/UTRAN, not LTE/EUTRAN, right? Not sure anyone really tested UMTS network-activated contexts, all testing was focused on LTE, but in theory they should work just the same. The key difference might be that the default bearer for LTE is usually still defined on the ME, so +CGDCONT would work for those contexts and not for truly dynamic network activated ones.

According to 27.007, +CGDCONT is only used to define parameters. For obtaining 'dynamic' parameters, CGCONTRDP should be used instead. Perhaps the AT modem driver should be using CGCONTRDP instead of +CGDCONT when issuing ofono_gprs_cid_activated.

Regards,
-Denis