Hi Tarmo,

I don't see how am I going to solve this. The end user cannot configure the device (there's no user interaction whatsoever). I could not find the mythical Android database at the time (I do now - it's at https://android.googlesource.com/device/sample/+/master/etc/apns-full-conf.xml). It contains many duplicates, because the virtual MNO-s share MCC and MNC-s with the physical ones. That's how the mobile networks are built in the real world. So I was very confused about how to proceed.

MVNOs are handled by utilizing the EFspn file as a differentiator. So even if MNC/MCC is the same, once you include the SPN, the number of duplicates goes down drastically. This is why oFono uses the following signature for get_settings:

int (*get_settings)(const char *mcc, const char *mnc, const char *spn,

Once a proper database is used, this mostly goes away as an issue. We did add the SPN field to MBPI schema in the olden days. The problem is that nobody actually updated the MBPI database to take advantage of this.

Sure, after much, much frustration I arrived to the workaround of manually provisioning APNs (which I stole from mbpi!) for each factory installed SIM through Christophe Ronco's file-provision plugin. This plugin is a life-saver, but it certainly falls short of automatic provisioning. That's the same level of sophistication as pppd. And as extra punishment I have to write a network supervisor which orders connman to actually use the service of a new SIM whenever it is replaced - even if it's from the same MNO. But that's a different rant altogether.

So, for perspective - saying "mbpi is just not a very good database" helps me none at all when I need to get my widget to go online :) Please handle the duplication, as this is how the mobile networks are built.

I can take a patch that enables duplicates as a config / environmental setting. As long as the default is the old behavior. But as I mentioned previously, ConnMan / oFono were not designed to work this way, and so far nobody has been willing to do the work in both projects to change that.

Regards,
-Denis