Steve Creech wrote:
I talked with Fast Forward last week about Enchanted Locations
and their response was that the author was under the assumption
that the OGL declaratin in the back of Monster Manual II meant
the stuff was open content. Rule number one for writers: Know
what the license means!

Whenever I write for a D20 product I make a point of including the specific Section 15 content that needs to be included in the final product. All they've got to do is copy and paste the material into the Section 15 of the book and they're good to go.

IMHO, that's a good policy for all D20 publishers to require their authors to do. And when dealing with an author whose track record with OGC material is unknown, I'd probably go the next step and ask them to specify what content was drawn from which source. If FFE had been doing that, it would have been easier for them to be on the ball with something like this. You wouldn't necessarily need to double-check what your authors have done (although it wouldn't be a bad idea), but the mere process of having them do this will make them more aware of OGC issues.

(Not having seen the book in question, I'm assuming that the MM2 wasn't mentioned in the Section 15 of the product at all. I could easily be mistaken.)

Justin Bacon
[EMAIL PROTECTED]