-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>Either PI is a subset of copyright and trademark and "ownership" (a
prerequisite for PI) is established under those bodies of law  OR it
must be true that PI goes beyond those bodies of law, and in going
beyond those bodies of law, it must contain items which can be "owned"
as PI, but not as a copyright or trademark.

The license is a contract which describes how we may use WoTC's
copyrighted works and how others may use ours.  I said they're separate
animals because concepts of OGC and PI have no meaning outside of the
license.  Anything not declared OGC or PI is covered under standard
copyright, and the whole of the work is protected by standard copyright
law as well.

Copyright law does not protect some things that WoTC wanted protected,
so a clause was created which defines how things not covered under
copyright law will be handled *under this license*.  If you want to use
the license, you agree not to do these things, and you agree that you
will not use these other things in your creation.  In return for that
agreement, these things over here are yours to use.  It isn't a new area
of copyright, or a new category of IP.  It's a contract under existing
IP law that has some language in it to address specific concerns of the
agreeing parties.