----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Mucchiello" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, April 10, 2004 6:44 PM
Subject: Re: [Ogf-l] Re: Releasing a new system under the OGL

> The clause we're talking about removing is the only
> benefit the source licensor gets out of the OGL (PI and Trademark
> restrictions).

I don't agree that this is the only benefit that the source licensor gets from the
OGL. If
that was true then you wouldn't get 100% OGC products. Clearly there are other
benefits as
well. I would say that these include:

* A pre designed (by WotC) legal way to allow other people to use your copyrighted
material without loosing copyright protection.
* A guaranteed listing in the section 15 of any products that use your material and any
future products that use any of their material
* The ability to associate your company or yourself with the Open Game Content
movement.

Perhaps there are other advantages that I have not touched on but these ones at least
would not be removed by any Swedish laws that I know of.

> (Remember the owner we are discussing in this thread is releasing something
> completely new to OGC and not a single word of it is derived from some
> other OGC work.) In the normal case, you use the OGL to gain access to the
> upstream OGC. If you are the source licensor where is your consideration if
> the PI and Trademark restriction clauses are void? I'm disagreeing with
> Peter's assertion that the downstream users of the material get a free ride
> and source licensor gets nothing.

If I remember correctly all that author wanted to do was get his content used and
reused
(for free) without having to worry about someone else taking away his copyright
ownership.
This is the first of the benefits that I mentioned above that you forgot about. He also
gets the other two benefits if anyone bases some work on his stuff.

I believe that the Action! System people get the same three benefits. They certainly
don't
get any benefits from the SRD if they don't use that! ;-)

I think that you and Peter might be arguing different points as this conversation
seems to
be going around in a circle. I do see what people mean when they defend "crippled
content"
as there is nothing to compel people to use it. Those people that object to someone
claiming to "own" the term Gold as a weapon description are free to publish their own
descriptions of weapons. They could easily sit down together and write up any possible
description you can think of for gold, silver, bone, stone or wood to strange things
like
elements (fire weapons for instance made from the elemental plane of fire +1 fire
damage,
normal damage against fire elementals and extra damage against water elementals). I'm
sure
that if the "anti-cripplers" worked together they could create everything then need so
that they wouldn't ever need to even look at any "crippled content".

Before anyone accuses me of making moral judgements against any particular publisher,
let
me state that I am not complaining about anyone in particular. (If I ever do decide
that I
don't like a particular company I will just boycott their products and not waste my
time
mounting a crusade against them). I'm just explaining what I think the objection that
the
"anti-cripplers" is. Something they seem to be implying but not openly saying.

And if the OGL is a contract between the author/owner and the reuser, then there is no
contract between the crippler and the anti-crippler to get in their way. In other
words it
*would* be a better use of their time if they created uncrippled content instead of
complaing about crippled content.

However, I do think that Peter is right about one thing. There is one way that crippled
content is unfair and immoral. Lets have a look at the sort of content that you are
likely
to find if you look for it:

[1] "Uncrippled" Open Game Content that is available without purchase - (The SRD is an
example of this, anyone can download it so it is truly free)
[2] "Uncrippled" Open Game Content that is not available without purchase - (Anything
in a
book that you can't find on the Internet)
[3] "Crippled" Open Game Content that is not available without purchase - (Anything in
book that you can't find on the Internet)
[4] Non-Open Game Content - (Either what people call "fluff" or undisputed PI in
"non-crippled content" or rules from WotC Books that don't have an OGL in them)

I won't mention WotC as they are a special case, that do not need to follow the rules.
I'll let someone else cover them and stick to covering the other publishers. Anyone can
produce any of the four types of content (although anyone who is not WotC finds it
harder
to make rules into the forth type), so at first it would seem fair for people to make
any
sort of content they like or use any sort of content that they like. Although people
are
forced to pay for the second type of OGC that also seems fair as it seems to guarantee
that the company making that content will stay in business.

I don't think any other type of content is relevant to the conversation (but I'm sure
someone will correct me if they think differently). Lets look specifically at three
hypothetical groups of publishers. Ones that put all their OGC on the Internet, ones
that
put all their OGC in books but not on the Internet and ones that deliberately use the
OGL
to prevent people using their content. (I'm not going to cover PI licences as they
seem to
be an attempt to uncripple crippled-content. I personally don't agree with the need for
them, but for those publishers that honestly believe that they *do* need them for as
sort
of additional protection it is an attempt by them to be fair - even if you don't agree
that PI licences are needed, you can't accuse them of being "immoral".)

OK lets see what sort of flow of content there is between the three types of
publishers I
am looking at:

Non-cripplers that publish content online can use: [1] and [2], they produce [1]
Non-cripplers that don't publish content online can use: [1] and [2], they produce [2]
Cripplers can use: [1] and [2], they produce [3]

No one can use [4], and everyone can produce their own [4] so this sort of content
balances itself out and can be disregarded. But have another look at what is happening
[1] and [2] again.

The first group use these types of content to produce free stuff.
The second group use these types of content to make money but still produce [2] that
goes
back into the OGC pool of rules.
The third group use these types of content to make money but produce content that other
people can not easily use.

I want you to read that last sentence again as I think that *this* is the central
point of
the people that claim that this sort of thing is "immoral". People who routinely create
crippled content benefit from the other publishers that create instantly usable OGC
but do
not put as much back into the publishing community as those other publishers that don't
cripple. They benefit from the OGL without having to pay full price for it. Any OGC
that
they do provide is only partial content and can not be reused without extra work being
done by another publisher. Throw an ambiguous PI/OGC declaration on top of that, and
the
second publisher needs to employ a lawyer to do editing work to avoid accidentally
using
the wrong thing from the first product.

There has been talk of fairness in contracts and this *one* point seems to be an area
of
unfairness in the OGL. The OGL prevents conditions being placed on OGC so it enables
"cripplers" to gain access to the hard work of other publishers without having to make
an
equal contribution back to that "non-crippling" publisher. The OGL actually seems to be
written in a way that rewards would be cheats more than it rewards honest people. I
think
this is where people *can* claim that the licence is immoral in some way.

But even if the complainers are right and the licence *is* immoral, is it illegal?
There
are a lot of things out there that are much more immoral than the OGL. Anyone who
really
wants to stop immoral things should go to another mailing list and do something about
one
of those. Lets face it people who *do* produce crippled OGC are about as immoral as
people
who move house and take all the light bulbs with them!

My opinion of the situation is people who don't like crippled content or the very idea
of
PI are wasting their time complaining. Anyone who
publishes so called "crippled content" probably believes that it is a sound business
decision, and while I agree that crippling content seems pretty pointless to me, I
can't
see a experienced publisher changing their business model because of a complaint.
People
may say that "the customer is always right" but I don't think that anyone actually
believes it.

The anti-cripplers" would be a lot better off trying to do something that tipped the
scales in the financial favour or people that produce uncrippled content. They could
either:

* Give free advertising to the non-crippling publishers.
* Provide some sort of resource to non-crippling publishers and exclude the cripplers.
* Promote other OGC licences that do not have PI in them in the gaming community as a
whole.
* Take up the challenge I made in an earlier post about using the principle of the PI
licence to provide content that only non-cripplers could use.

So I'll throw the ball to the anti-PI brigade and ask them if they think this is an
accurate statement of their position. I'd also be interested to hear what they actually
propose to do to support people that don't declare things as PI or don't cripple
things.

Remember guys that it is easier to influence the publishers that agree with you than
the
ones that think you are outright wrong.

David Shepheard