On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 06:10:41AM -0700, Mike Kletch wrote:
> Users of the license and licensed material. We've had several cases
> discussed on this list where used material has not been attributed to
> the original source (the whole Section 15 discussion), and debates
> over how certain types of material can be used.
>
> I was wondering how the users of Creative Commons have gotten around
> or through these issues.

I would expect that it would be resolved in the same manner in which
you'd resolve someone using standard copyrighted material; appropriate
legal action.

Although a lot of the problems people have with Section 15 vanish:

First, it's possible to use a CC license which does not require
attribution.  In that case obviously there's no equivalent to Section
15.

Second, it's possible to use a CC license which doesn't require
derivative works to use a CC license, in which case the derivation chain
doesn't necessarily exist.

Third, even if you do use a CC license which requires a) attribution and
b) the licensee to share his or her work, the attribution clause is not
as complex as the OGL's attribution clause.  You have to keep copyright
notices intact; you have to give the original author credit; you have to
give the title of the original work; and you have to give this credit in
a manner comparable to other comparable authorship credit.

The big win here is that the CC isn't concerned with preventing people
from identifying compatability.  The OGL needed to be written in a manner
which prevented people from claiming compatability with D&D, so the
attribution guidelines are stringent and inflexible.  The CC had no such
requirement; thus, you get flexibility.

--
        Bryant Durrell [] http://www.innocence.com/~durrell [] 9/11/2001