In a message dated 3/14/2005 9:55:38 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<Isn't the OGL the same sort of thing - one licence that allows you to access all of the OGC from all of the products mentioned in the section 15 - and therefore one licence that is issued from all of those copyright holders to you. Surely that makes all of the copyright holders people that you have accepted a licence from.

Right, but each party can only sue for things that damage themselves.  If I'm handing Green Ronin IP in a perfectly fine way, but botching the Mongoose IP then Mongoose is likely the only one who can sue me for damages immediately.

In the long run, if I end up producing improperly declared PI and OGC and get other people in trouble, everyone who used by materials could sue me if I open them up to any damages from Mongoose.

<<
Why would a "contributor" with no enforcement rights stay in a licence/contract? >>

Who said they had no enforcement rights?  Not me.  They just generally only have the enforcement rights over their own IP.

<<
The OGL doesn't specifically exclude any individual "contributor" from having enforcement rights or mention any sort of limit to what they can enforce.>>

Right, so contract law will govern this.  And you have to have standing to sue.

In a typical multi-party contract between you, me, and my friend Mark, if I'm handling everything right that you are due but botching what I owe Mark, you can't sue me for Mark's recovery typically.  Only Mark can sue me.

<<
Establishing damages is another issue, that I wasn't talking about. I'm specifically talking about revoking a licence due to non-compliance.

But you aren't the copyright holder of someone else's work so you cannot revoke a license that party B gave to party C if you are party A.

<< I don't think that is a good example. How about this instead: You are walking towards your bank to pay back a loan and a mugger tries to rob you. Your bank manager sees this and calls the police to sort out the mugger.

That is not an example at law.  You can whistle blow on other parties to the contract, but that is different than having standing to revoke someone else's license.

Lee