In a message dated 3/20/2005 3:22:00 AM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<

I've got another question, does the licence actually say that you are only bound by Publisher A's PI declaration. If his particular gaming product mentions 19 other gaming products in its section 15, are you also agreeing to not using their PI.

This has been a long-standing question.  I would say yes, technically, in that each one is making an independent agreement with you.

<<
And can you be bound even if you didn't borrow? Is that the reason why copyright declarations stay in the section 15 after the OGC has been dropped. Will everyone in the industry eventually end up agreeing to not use PI of products they have never seen by a trickle down process?

A good question.

<< I always thought of the licence covering one product rather than a publisher's other products, however contracts do normally involve people, so I think that you and Clark are onto something interesting.

Yeah, the license doesn't say, "you agree not to use any PI in _this_ licensed product, or in any _OGL_ work.  It says you agree not to use PI, period.

<<
Who actually *is* "You"?

The licensee who accepts the OGC grant.

<<The products they sell can not make compatibility claims, but can the shops add compatibility claims themselves? This also comes back to that third person thing as it benefits an OGL (but non d20 System) publisher if their salesmen can get their products put in the same area as the PHB and DMG and referred to as compatible.

A really good question.  Is there any problem with a company like  RPGNow from putting my obviously d20-compatible, OGL only product in their d20 product section?  I say no, if they are not a party to the OGL.

Lee