"As I see it, the major problem with that logo is there's nothing to tie such products to d20 in the consumer's mind, which is by far the first thing such a logo would need to do."

The license is quite explicit about claiming compatibility without a separate permission. No third party logo or OGL logo can claim compatibility to D&D, the d20 license, or anything without a separate agreement.

From the OGL, section seven -

"7. Use of Product Identity: (. . .) You agree not to indicate compatibility or co-adaptability with any Trademark or Registered Trademark in conjunction with a work containing Open Game Content except as expressly licensed in another, independent Agreement with the owner of such Trademark or Registered Trademark."

There seems to be no doubt on that point but people always bring it up when an alternative to the d20 license is proffered. Bottom line is always that nothing can replace the d20 license and logo.

This Third Party Publisher designation and logo conforms to the OGL and is non-restictive in application. One of the reasons that the d20 license and logo cannot be replaced is because no one except WotC is in the position to make another logo carry the same clout. But another reason is that whatever else is used in conjunction with the OGL must follow the OGL. No claims of compatibility are allowed. No other restrictions can be put on the OGC within the prduct, either, which is why I believe the designation and logo must themselves by OGC and not tied to a specific publisher. Notice I make no claim of copyright on the logo or designation? While it was made by me and was therefore mine to release as OGC, there is nothing in the license that requires me to make further claim upon it after release. Plus, there are plenty enough people who would prefer an OGL designation and logo that is not burdened by the baggage of other people's hopes, dreams, and desires, lest they not be concurrent with their own. The Third Party Publisher designation and logo is baggage-free.

Anyway, the same old replies will now follow to the effect that "it doesn't mean anything" (which I have already explained why it cannot, at least at the outset, other than to indicate that the OGL is in use). And the other I often have heard in the past is "it doesn't require anything or have any rules to govern it's use" which as I explained is exactly something it can't have (and which is, indeed, one of its strengths). But most of these arguments in the past have come from folks who have invested a great deal of time in their own personal crusades for an "alt-d20 license" to no real appreciable effect. I'm sure they'll be along soon to explain why a logo must have this and do that but they won't see why the logos they have really don't have this or do that since they have never gained any real widespread acceptance because of the very baggage they burden them with.

Have at it, again.

As always,
Mark Clover
www.CreativeMountainGames.com