On 02/06/2010 2:43 PM, James Paige wrote:
On Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 02:17:25PM -0400, Mike Caron wrote:
On 02/06/2010 5:08 AM, Ralph Versteegen wrote:
On 2 June 2010 13:59,<subvers...@hamsterrepublic.com>   wrote:
james
2010-06-01 18:59:48 -0700 (Tue, 01 Jun 2010)
153
New RSAV loadgame support. Not enabled by default yet.
Saving always saves in both SAV and RSAV format.
To load from the RSAV, hold SHIFT when you load.
---
U   wip/moresubs.bas
U   wip/savegame.bas

We're nearly there!

Are we sure we want to store save games in %APP_DATA% on Windows by
default instead of the game folder? I generally find it annoying when
games do that, even if it might be correct in theory. For example, I
was quite annoyed recently when I realised (on linux, but I'm not
disputing putting saved games in ~/.ohrrpgce) that all versions of the
same game (or even different games with the same filename) share the
same save file.

Plus, I think very few people will know to look in the APP_DATA
directory when they want to access a save file, eg. to copy it to
another computer. I try not to go in there, it's a mess of
human-unfriendly data stores.

For what it's worth, if we're going to store the saves in a central
location, I'd rather they either go in a configurable location, or in
"My Documents\My Games\Ohrrpgce\*"

My documents can be located by calling SHGetSpecialFolderLocation, but
that appears to be rather complicated, so I'll write a wrapper function.

I kinda hate to create a new top-level folder in "My Documents". Some
users are particular about how they organize that folder.

Here are the following games that did not share your sympathies, at least when they were installed on my computer:

EA Games\The Sims 2
My Games\Age of Mythology
My Games\Heroes of Might And Magic V
My Games\Oblivion
Puzzle Quest
Puzzle Quest Galactrix
RPG Maker XP
RPG Maker VX
Sim City 4
Sim City Societies (they didn't even bother to put these under EA Games as above)

And, plenty of other non-game programs. I think that in this age, it's a moot point.

My suggestion about making it configurable still stands, though.

Many other games store save games in %APP_DATA%

I do see the problem with different versions sharing the same save data.
It means you can no longer put a copy of the game in a different folder
with a different copy of game.exe and expect it to get its own save
file.

I know %APP_DATA% seems like a kinda lousy default location for game
authors, but I think it is a great default location for players who only
play games and don't make them (which should in theory, (but perhaps not
always practice) be the majority of users)

What if we put save games in:

same\path\as\the\rpg\file\gamename.saves\#.rsav

And then fall back to %APP_DATA%\OHRRPGCE\gamename\saves\#.rsav only if
the first choice is non-writeable?

---
James Paige

Mike