> I have a feeling that this should be illegal in FB. I could totally see
> FB forgetting that it stored a variable in its nondeclared variable
> storage and overwriting it in a later function.

I'd definitely avoid this situation with gusto. Consider passing '3'
(just the number) as "by ref" into the parameter 'x'  ---what happens
if the compiler inlines that variable, copying it to each place the
variable is used inside the function? That becomes problematic for,
e.g.,:
    x = 10
....which becomes:
   3 = 10

   That, at least, is the reason it's illegal in C++ ---not sure what
the FB compiler says if you try this. (Of course, in early Fortran
dialects, side-effecting 3 to 10 was completely possible... but that's
a whole different can of worms (and I've been told it doesn't work in
newer compilers).)

-->Seth