On 9/27/2010 1:08 PM, James Paige wrote:
On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 12:51:40PM -0400, Mike Caron wrote:
On 9/27/2010 12:31 PM, James Paige wrote:
On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 07:45:13PM +1200, Ralph Versteegen wrote:
On 26 September 2010 17:53, James Paige<b...@hamsterrepublic.com>   wrote:
On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 10:12:11PM -0700, subvers...@hamsterrepublic.com wrote:
=The way it WILL work eventually=
* An attack will be targetted and confirmed
* The attack and targetting and delay state will be stored
directly in the queue without ever going in bslot()
* When the delay runs out on the queued attack, the attack and
targetting stat will be copied directly to BattleState
* The attack will animate, using targetting state from BattleState, not
bslot()

Odd question: no possibility of multiple simultaneous attacks in
future? I understand that attack info is copied into BattleState for
convenience and because that was the easiest cleanup path, but that
precludes simultaneous attacks.

I am not ruling out the possibility of multiple simultaneous attacks in
the future, but I would consider that to be a separate transition. That
is all about cleaning up the attack animation code, whereas the attack
queue is all about cleaning up the attack targetting and delaying code.

The main reason I suggest supporting them is if people have
multitasking battlescripting, and might like have simultaneous
attacks, and use real attacks to do so rather than slice hackery.
Of course, it would hardly be easy to support; it'd present a whole
lot of problems to be solved.

I am having difficulty thinking of RPG games that allow simultaneous
attacks.

Not talking about combo-attacks, or other cases of multi-attacker attack
animations, which is certainly something we want to allow eventually.

What I am talking about is fully asynchronous simultaneous attacks. What
RPG does that? (so I can play it to get a better feel for it ;)

The only one that I can think of is SaGa Frontier. Although I've never
played it, it seems that you can chain together normal attacks into
pseudo combos to execute simultaneously? Or something? Man, the SaGa
games are weird :S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y_n1xcgusM

I have that game. I am not 100% certain, but what i think is happening
there is just a combo-attack.

I should have said, most of it is where one animation begins before the last one has ended.

However, I can distinctly recall a game where each party member jumps forward and does their attack in quick succession, so that the animations line up something like:

<-------A------->
        <-------B-------->
                <-------C-------->
                        <-------D-------->
                                <-------E-------->

I thought it was Suikoden 1 or 2, but I couldn't find any relevant clip...

Fakeedit: Yeah, it is Suikoden 2. Although each attack happens serially, the (non-flashy) unrelated animations overlap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpmAltLjwF8

To get the same effect in the OHR, we would have a system like this:

* Attacker A does combo part 1
* Attacker B does combo part 2 before the delay runs out for Combo part 1
* Combo part 2 detects that combo part 1 is already queued by a valid
team member, and replaces its queue entry with a FullCombo attack.
* FullCombo would animate both attackers

At no time would we be simultaneously animating to unrelated attack
animations.

---
James