Is the engine still running at 18FPS? I guess a fair option would be
36 FPS then. Doubling the framerate would sound easier to support than
fine grained any-frame-rate.

Then you could call it from script as something like
setupdaterate(normal) and 36 would be setupdaterate(double). That way
if people really need it for something like smoother gameplay in a
minigame, they can turn it on for the minigame and then drop back to
18FPS for normal gameplay.

Then I would assume (unless you're going to make it a CUSTOM level
option) that a game should run in the existing frame rate upon load,
and require authors that want MOAR FRAMEZ to put the higher frame rate
command in their newgame / loadgame script.