On Wed, 2011-09-21 at 00:18 +0100, Alasdair Lumsden wrote:
> Hi Philip,
>
> Many thanks for getting in touch!
>
> On 20 Sep 2011, at 22:28, Philip J. Robar wrote:
> <snip>
> > I used to do this type of thing all of the time for my group’s local server
> > when I was at Sun so I can probably help*. However, when I found the source
> > tar balls at LibreOffice’s site I was unmoved by the lack of documentation.
> > But then, I found this site:
> > http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/ — which seems to be the
> > place to get stated, yes?
>
> Fantastic :-) Yes, LibreOffice needs work in this area - it's going to be a
> bit of a nightmare to build. But that certainly looks like a good place to
> start.
>
> > Since it already builds on numerous UNIX™ and UNIX like systems I presume
> > that the port ought to be pretty straight forward. Is there anything in
> > particular that I need to know about before I get started?
>
> LibreOffice unfortunately has a really ugly compiler/platform specific ABI:
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/tree/bridges/source/cpp_uno
>
> On Linux/BSD it expects gcc and on Solaris it expects Sun Studio. So for now
> the LibreOffice developers are recommending we use Sun Studio to build it,
> although they would welcome support for gcc on Solaris, but it would require
> someone with assembly skills. Probably not important at the moment.
>
> Because LibreOffice is a fork of OpenOffice you'd think it would build out of
> the box, but unfortunately the fork was done by a consortium of Linux
> distributions who have taken an axe to the core of it and I can't say for
> sure what issues you're likely to encounter, but they have said they will
> accept patches upstream to fix build issues on other platforms.
>
> I'd recommend dropping by IRC if you can, to #oi-dev on irc.freenode.net - we
> have someone from the LibreOffice development team in there (his nickname is
> ftigeot) who knows about the build system and can offer help/pointers if
> needed. There is also #libreoffice-dev
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alasdair

Awesome! Be great to have LibreOffice on OI, if only to snub Oracle :-P

Last I poked around, the jury was still out on LibreOffice vs. Apache's
incarnation of OpenOffice as preferred office suite on OI.  But I've
been being a fun hog and away from the 'puter for much of the summer -
has OI subsequently developed a consensus?

--
Regards-- Ken Gunderson