Nick Zivkovic wrote:
Agreed. Also, I see that /opt and /usr/$consolidation overlap in terms
of their purpose.

For example we have /usr/X11. According to `man filesystem` /opt is
meant to hold add-on/third-party software.

/opt was meant for unbundled software. Ideally, it should be empty immediately following a full install of a distro, as everything is by definition bundled. I don't think Solaris ever quite got that right, but it was almost there. Everything you install after that (which isn't part of the distro) should be in /opt (and /etc/opt and /var/opt), but a lot of 3rd-party software developers got that wrong too.

If that's the case shouldn't X11 be in /opt/X11? Or should the
convention be updated, so that we store the bundles or consolidation
in /usr as is already being done?

If sub-directories of /usr are separate datasets (like /usr/X11 is
rpool/X11), that should make migration easier.

Basically, I'm asking if it is better to have one convention
(everything in /usr/$consolidation) instead of two (some things in
/usr/$consolidation and others in /opt/$consolidation)?

There's never been any rule about consolidations being funneled into specific directories. It may be that it makes sense in a few specific cases because of functional groupings, but not universally.

--
Andrew