Hi, all.
Jim raised interesting question, and I have no good answer so far. So I would like to get more opinions and ideas.

The issue is that when we deliver dir action with package, on package uninstall, all unpackaged contents will be moved to /var/pkg/lost+found. Now consider it was several-GB log file, database files or some cache. Perhaps, you want to preserve content in its usual place, so that administrator could somehow use it after package deinstallation. Currently you have two options to achieve it: a) use separate package to deliver dir action, so that, for example, service uninstallation didn't removed its log directory, b) deliver service which would create necessary directories on the first run.

B) seems saner... until you end up with dozen services, executing essentially the same...

So, it seems natural to have single service to automate post-installation tasks. In OpenSolaris/OI we had such service for the long time, system/postrun:default. Unfortunately, it had a lot of lu-upgrade-related legacy, and I suppose wasn't usable last several years on OI (and so was dropped). What do you think about recreating similar service, which would execute once generic scripts, delivered by packages?

I see two issues: 1) this defeats IPS no-scripting approach :), 2) there can be difficulties with non-active images...

Want to listen to your opinions.