On Wednesday, Feb 26, 2003, at 13:51 US/Eastern, Eli Tucker wrote:

Hello. I'm totally new to OJB.

After reading about it in the O'Reilly book _Programming Jakarta Struts_
and hearing it recommended by others, I thought I would give it a try.

heh I guess Chuck has caused a few more pople to jump on this bandwagon because of the book, like I did, unfortunately his code explanation is pretty half-ass.

I've had problems getting started with v0.9.9 (see below). My question
is this: as someone new to OJB, would it be better for me to start with
an older, perhaps more stable, release? One where the documentation is
up to date with the code would be preferred. Could you recommend a
specific release version, or perhaps is getting the latest code from CVS
a good alternative?

0.9.9 is very good. I haven't run into issues myself. From what I can tell most people haven't either.

I downloaded the source distro of v0.9.9. After spending much time
trying to get tutorial1 working, I then found the post at
http://archives.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=ojb- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
pache.org&msgNo=5704
helpful enough to get things going. After making the changes to the
repository.xml and repository_user.xml, I was in business.

I can tell you from personal experience, if this is your first time working with any Object Broker, you're in for a ride. It took me a good week of pasting information together between the site, the book and my own experience with programming to get things rolling quickly. Once you do, you'll be amazed at how easy things are, and realize that Chuck's suggestion is in fact less work. I was going to let go of the whole thing and get back to straight up sql because it looked faster until a couple of things clicked. Then I cruised. So don't give up right away keep pushing it.

For what it's worth, get a really good understanding of foreignkey reference setup and Collections with inverse keys. You'll get stuck there for sure.

Robert S. Sfeir
Senior Java Engineer
Codepuccino, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

definition - Codepuccino n:
A Little JSP mixed with lots of Java, usually served with Servlets, a Datasource, a sprinkle of XML, and sometimes EJB. (See Great MVC Frameworks)