I have an m:n relation with an implicit relation table, just like the Person/Project example. My twist, however, is that I don't have update rights to the Person and Project tables. I don't ever udate those tables anyway. They are institutional tables created an maintained by other processes. What I do need to update is the Person_Project table that holds the relation. I do have update rights to this table.

Up until now in my development I haven't had to do any updates, so things have been fine. But now I need to update the relation table. I'm using ODMG so I do something like this:

-- get the person
-- get the project
tx.lock(person, Transaction.WRITE);
person.getProjects().add(project);
tx.commit();

But this causes an update to the Person table which fails due to lack of privileges.

Does anyone have suggestions for this situation? Perhaps with the PB api?

Thanks, Will