Empirically if the value is 0 then OJB will assign it a unique id.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: None
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: primary key initialisation

I am sorry if this has already been answered on this list, but the list archives are
offline and I am kinda in a hurry.

In the tutorial it says:

On storing of newProduct OJB detects that the attribute is not properly set and
assigns a unique id.

How does OJB determine if a primary key attribute "is not properly set" if it is an
primitive type (as in int) and not an object type? Should I initialise the PK
attribute to any special value (0, -1, whatever) in the constructor?

Greetings
Lars Soltau