I can't speak to the JDO implementation, as I have only used the PBAPI. As to what
component has the responsibility for connection pooling, IMHO, the data access/ORM
component seems to be the more logical place, regardless of canonical J2EE.

As for your connection manager choices, this is from the OJB.properties file that
ships with RC3:
#----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# ConnectionFactory / Default ConnectionPool
#----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# The ConnectionFactoryClass entry determines which kind of ConnectionFactory
# is to be used within org.apache.ojb as connection factory.
# A ConnectionFactory is responsible for creating
# JDBC Connections. Current version ships four implementations:
#
# 1. ConnectionFactoryNotPooledImpl
#    No pooling, no playing around.
#    Every connection request returns a new connection,
#    every connection release close the connection.
# 2. ConnectionFactoryPooledImpl
#    This implementation supports connection pooling.
# 3. ConnectionFactoryDBCPImpl
#    Using the jakarta-DBCP api for connection management, support
#    connection- and prepared statement-pooling, abandoned connection handling.
# 4. ConnectionFactoryManagedImpl
#    Connection factory for use within managed environments - e.g. JBoss.
#    Every obtained DataSource was wrapped within OJB (and ignore
#    e.g. con.commit() calls within OJB).
#    Use this implementation e.g if you use Datasources from an application server.
#
# Use the OJB performance tests to decide, which implementation is best for you.
# The proper way of obtaining a connection is configured in
# JDBCConnectionDescriptor entries in the repository.xml file.
# If want a more fine grained control of each connection pool used by OJB,
# take a look at the repository.dtd, there was a possibility to override
# this default connection factory entry in each JDBCConnectionDescriptor.

Sounds to me that if you want to use your container to manage connections, you would
need to use ConnectionFactoryManagedImpl and not ConnectionFactoryDBCPImpl, but I may
be missing something.

I can't really speak to PBAPI vs. JDO (haven't used JDO), but I can tell you the PBAPI
is clean, powerful, and a joy to use!