On Sunday, June 22, 2003, at 06:49 AM, Kees Jongenburger wrote:

when developing via jdo is it alway's required to edit the repository/create
sql schema's in order to create new objects or can i choose a mapping
strategy and let ojb to the rest?

The only general forward engineering type tool I am aware of is the OJB xdoclet plugin.
( http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/db-ojb/contrib/xdoclet-ojb-module.zip ). This is compile-time rather than runtime (which I think is what you are looking for).

There is no automagic runtime mapping-strategy tool I know of - though the idea is certainly intriguing. You could use the object serialization semantics (ie, all non-transient fields, implements Persistable interface, etc), which developers already know, to do on-the-fly schema generation and persistence of objects. The database schema would probably get ugly fast, but if it were internally consistent and used embedded database without upgrading concerns.

I don't think OJB supports runtime mapping modifications (though that is a supposition based on never seeing mention of how to do it), which adds another thing that would have to be added in addition to the schema and repository generation engine. Once upon a time there was a bit to generate the needed DDL and create tables from the repository information as needed, but I cannot find reference to it anywhere anymore.

-Brian