Is there a way to enter a hardcoded value into the table on every insert?

I want to set a maintenanceID (equal to "MY_APP_NAME") on all of my tables,
but instead of setting it in the object, I was wondering if it was possible
to set a hardcoded value in the descriptor.
Something like:
<field-descriptor id="2" value="MY_APP_NAME" column="MAINT_ID"
jdbc-type="VARCHAR" />

Is anything like that possible?  (I know it may not be the reccommended
strategy, but is it possible?)

I expect to be changing the code to have  the Maint_ID as a variable on the
Objects  , but I wanted to start with just setting all of the Maint_IDs to
the app_name for now, then setting the Maint_id to the user's ID in a later
release. I have to review exactly how to pass the user_Id through the
different business layers.

(I don't really like the idea of requiring every object that I want to
persist to have a maintenance ID of the user that persisted it. )

How are other people passing Maintenance IDs through their various layers
(struts , BizService/EJB, DAO/ OJB)?

How are you setting timestamps?

Thanks again for the guidance!!

-John