Von: Armin Waibel [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Gesendet: Sonntag, 18. Januar 2004 23:57
An: OJB Users List
Betreff: Re: How to get a generated ID before an object is stored?

Hi Dirk,

Dirk Manske (Service Respond) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using PB with DB2 and autoincrement set on. OJB is setup with the
> SequenceNativeImplManager. My question is, I know that there is a way
> to retrieve an ID for an object before it gets stored!

yep, OJB use intern an unique Identity object for each pc object.

> I read it somewhere but
> - unfortunately - cannot find the source anymore.

Maybe in docs for SequenceManagerNativeImpl
http://db.apache.org/ojb/sequencemanager.html#nativeSequenceManager

> I assume I have to use the
> class Identity? Any help is appreciated. My temporary workaround is to
> store the object and retrieve it back immediately (with the oid), but
> this seems not to be the best way...

It's the only way I know get the real UID of the Identity column. That's one
reason why I don't like Identity columns. As far as I know does DB2 also
supports database based sequence key generation (SequenceMangerNextValImpl).
This also guarantee the consistence of the data (when other applications as
OJB do operate on the DB) and has the advantage that we can request a unique
id before the object will be written to DB.