Hi all,

I agree that it would be nice to have a declaration of initial and default values, etc. in the repository.xml.

So we would need a little "sub language" that allows you to specify the semantics you want. For simple cases it will be only constant of arbitrary java types. For other cases user want to perform some computations. SO the "sub language" will tend to grow and to become a full fledged programming language.

So instead instead of embarking on this adventure of creating an expression evaluator language I strongly recommend to use user defined ConversionStrategies. You can do any computation in a ConversionStrategy and it can be defined on a per field basis. See http://db.apache.org/ojb/jdbc-types.html for a docuemntation of this feature.

cheers,
Thomas

Larry V. Streepy, Jr. wrote:
If use of default database values on insert is a common use case, it would seem reasonable to submit an enhancement request to support some specification in the class descriptor to support control of this semantic.

I don't know enough databases to know if this will be a problem in implementing the DB specific handling or not.

But it sounds like a useful feature.

Manukyan, Sergey wrote:

Maybe I should give you my manager's phone number and you will explain it to
him ... ;) I think in anyway we should have a mechanism to control what
fields take part in operations.
Regards. Sergey.