Hi Sean,

I'm nearly sure that OJB never starts new threads by its own. AFAIK only the commons-DBCP api starts a new thread (if you enable it) to monitor/manage the used connections (used in a ConnectionFactory implementation, but per default OJB use it's own connection pool).

> maintaining uses an opaque persistence framework that extends OJB; it
Do this framework use unchanged OJB sources?

Sean Dockery wrote:
Unfortunately, I'm stuck on version 0.9.8.  The application that I'm
maintaining uses an opaque persistence framework that extends OJB; it
creates classes explicitly which have disappeared between 0.9.8 and 1.0RC4.
But because I'm using PB calls directly, I'm certain that this problem has
nothing to do with the opaque persistence framework.  (The value of this
software company's persistence framework is dubious; I'll be glad when we
can rid ourselves of it.)

"Antonio Gallardo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi Sean:

AFAIK, this would not happen. BTW, what version are you using?

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Sean Dockery dijo:

Hello there.

I've had a curious experience recently with OJB, and I was wondering if
someone could confirm my speculations about the behaviour.

Suppose I have two objects... Product and ProductCategory. The

Product

object carries both a productCategoryId field as well as a reference

field

productCategory which is declared as auto-retrieve in my class

descriptor.

Consider the following code segment...

   Transaction tx = implementation.newTransaction();
   tx.begin();
   PersistenceBroker broker = ((HasBroker) tx).getBroker();
   Product template = new Product();
   template.setId(productId);
   Identity identity = new Identity(template, broker);
   Product result = (Product) broker.getObjectByIdentity(identity);
   tx.commit();

// Thread.sleep(50);

System.out.println(result.getProductCategory().getName());

Curiously, I sometimes experience a null pointer exception because
result.getProductCategory() return null.  When I uncomment the
Threat.sleep() call, the null pointer exception never happens.

This seems to suggest that the productCategory reference is being

loaded

by
another thread.  Is this the case or can someone explain why
Product.getProductCategory returns null for me sometimes when I first
retrieve the Product object?

Thanks for your time...