Hi Matthew,

   I converted the NON-ASCII Strings into  ASCII Strings using UTF8 byte
array.

  Enclosed is the code snippet I used..

   byte[] nameByte = name.getBytes("UTF8");
   this.name =  new String(nameByte, "8859_1");

To retrieve the Japanese characters, I had to do the reverse.

     byte[] nameByte = name.getBytes("8859_1");
     this.name =  new String(nameByte,"UTF8");

This solution works for most languages such as Japanese Shift_JIS,
Chinese BIG5 or GB2312.

hth,
Sukesh