Keith,

You are not limited to static pre-compiled XML based reports with Jasper. There is also an API to generate reports on the fly. Look at Jasper's NoXmlDesignApp sample.

Phil

Keith Rogers wrote:

It did not look easy to produce the following report,

The report details which units in a course a student has passed. The
rows are students, the columns are units (and one for the student id).
The problem here is that the unit columns are retreived from the course,
so it will not be known at runtime how many there are or what their
names are. I undestand that it is possible to programmatically adjust
the report definition, but this would then require me to use two XML
docs for each report - the JasperReport xml and another to define how
this should be modified at runtime.

My impression (which I hope is wrong) is still that JasperReports is
mainly a report presentation tool, and that producing tabular reports
like the one above that has variable fields produced by a query at
"filling" time would be difficult to do using it.

Keith

[EMAIL PROTECTED] 28/04/2004 12:53:20 >>>

Keith,

We ve been using JasperReports with OJB por a while now. Reading your

requirements, it seems JasperReports deservs a deep look.
Let me quote you

I'd like to be able to write a definition of the report in XML

Well, this is exactly what you do with JR. Jasper will parser the
report definition for you, will "compile" the report and will it have it ready
to be "filled" which means "run" in JR jargon on demand.

From JasperReports tutorial a simple report definition (http://jasperreports.sourceforge.net/tutorial/):

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE jasperReport PUBLIC "-//JasperReports//DTD Report Design//EN" "http://jasperreports.sourceforge.net/dtds/jasperreport.dtd";>

<jasperReport name="name_of_the_report" ... >
</jasperReport>

If you like to try a visual designer for JR try ireports at http://ireport.sourceforge.net/

JasperReports will work with any jdbc datasource and with OJB you will
be able to pass him a collection of objects.
BTW, we are no related to JR in any form.

Regards,
Gustavo.