The workaround I have had to use is to create my JavaBean accessors such as this:

List item;

public Item getItem() {
        return item.get(0);
}
public void setItem(Item item) {
        item.set(0, item);
}

This still gives me type checking on the object and allows the FK to be on either
entity on a 1-1 reference.

BTW...I would like to see this added to the TODO list.  A FK on a 1-1 relation should
be allowed on either entity in the database.  This requires both of these forms to be
valid:

<class-descriptor class="Foo" table="foo" >
<reference-descriptor name="bar" class-ref="Bar">
    <foreignkey field-ref="barID" />
</reference-descriptor>
</class-descriptor>

And

<class-descriptor class="Foo" table="foo" >
<reference-descriptor name="bar" class-ref="Bar">
    <inverse-foreignkey field-ref="fooID" />
</reference-descriptor>
</class-descriptor>

Thoughts?

Wally