Our large project is now reaching maturity, and is being trialed with some
users finally!  Despite quite large object trees, it is performing well (our
strategy is proxying collections only).  But we are having a few problems
with collection proxies.

Every now and then (it really is random!) accessing a collection fails with
a null pointer exception.

I will point out now that it is using RC5, not 6 (although the dev version
is using 6). If this is likely to not occur with RC6 then please let me
know!

A stack trace is shown below.

The code that caused this failure is:

List pdps = e.getPdps();
pdps.add(pdp);
e.setPdps(pdps);

e is a persisted object, and pdps is a List (inverse-primary-key based
collection)

Note that when this collapsed, pdps was an empty list.  But normally this
code works fine! And it's not only here that the problem occurs.

Daniel.

org.apache.ojb.broker.PersistenceBrokerException:
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.ojb.broker.accesslayer.CollectionProxy.loadData(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.ojb.broker.accesslayer.ListProxy.loadData(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.ojb.broker.accesslayer.CollectionProxy.getData(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.ojb.broker.accesslayer.CollectionProxy.add(Unknown Source)
        at
com.netcase.pdp.service.PDPDataService.createNewAppraisal(PDPDataService.jav
a:386)

        at org.apache.ojb.broker.accesslayer.BasePrefetcher.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.ojb.broker.accesslayer.RelationshipPrefetcherImpl.<init>(Unknown
Source)
        at org.apache.ojb.broker.accesslayer.CollectionPrefetcher.<init>(Unknown
Source)
        at
org.apache.ojb.broker.accesslayer.RelationshipPrefetcherFactory.createRelati
onshipPrefetcher(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.ojb.broker.core.QueryReferenceBroker$PBCollectionProxyListener.ge
tPrefetcher(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.ojb.broker.core.QueryReferenceBroker$PBPrefetchingListener.prefet
ch(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.ojb.broker.core.QueryReferenceBroker$PBCollectionProxyListener.be
foreLoading(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.ojb.broker.accesslayer.CollectionProxy.beforeLoading(Unknown
Source)
        ... 41 more