Please excuse my ignorance (newbie) but I have a class Payment with a
field "fromAccountId" which is a foreign key to an Account Class.

Therefore I have a

<field-descriptor id="7" name="fromAccountId" column="FROM_ACCOUNT_ID"
jdbc-type="DECIMAL"/>

and

<reference-descriptor name="account" class-ref="com.blah.blah.Account"
auto-retrieve="true">

   <foreignkey field-ref="fromAccountId"/>

</reference-descriptor>

which retrieves relevant information from the Account table for each
Payment.

However I have not been able to store (persist) the Payment since adding
the reference. I receive the following error

cannot insert NULL into ("PAYMENT "."FROM_ACCOUNT_ID"). // fromAccountId
is not null.

If I remove the reference-descriptor the Payment will insert - no
problem.

Thanks for your help

Joe