Mhmm, two things:

* Are you sure that the thing object is actually stored in the db, i.e. is there a row for it after the store call ?

As I'm currently testing it on HSQLDB, there is the script [with most of ojb internal parts cut off]:

CREATE TABLE SALE(A_ID INTEGER NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,THING_ID INTEGER)
CREATE TABLE THING(A_ID INTEGER NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY)
ALTER TABLE SALE ADD CONSTRAINT SALE_FK_1 FOREIGN KEY(THING_ID) REFERENCES THING(A_ID)
/*C1*/CONNECT USER sa PASSWORD ""
SET AUTOCOMMIT FALSE
/*C2*/CONNECT USER sa PASSWORD ""
SET AUTOCOMMIT FALSE
INSERT INTO OJB_HL_SEQ VALUES('global - default sequence name','deprecatedColumn',10020,20,1)
COMMIT
SET AUTOCOMMIT TRUE
/*C1*/INSERT INTO THING VALUES(10002)
INSERT INTO SALE VALUES(10001,10002)
COMMIT
SET AUTOCOMMIT TRUE

..so I think, the "thing" row is there..

* The getCollectionByQuery call is not done within a transaction. I'm not sure whether that's supposed to work. Try changing it to:

No change - behaves equally.

Tom

Seems like cursed, doesn't it? :-)

Thanks for your concernment!