Clute, Andrew wrote:

I am wondering if it has something to do with the fact that
SerilizationUtils uses ObjectInputStream to serialize/desearlize the
objects, and ObjectInputStream on the deserialization does a
Class.forName() to create the new object -- which in the J2EE
classloader world can cause problems. I think that would explain why it
would use the previous versions. I am posting a message to the Jboss
group to see if my hypothesis is correct.

Hope you don't mind if I hop in :-)
A couple of weeks ago we unified class and resource loading in OJB into the ClassHelper class, which per default uses the class loader of the current thread. So perhaps the problem here is that the SerializationUtils class does not use this class loader (it is known to happen that the classloader that class.forName uses is not the same as the one of the current thread, e.g. when writing Ant tasks).
However in OJB we cannot change this, so perhaps you could create a modified version of commons-lang to verify this, and if this is true, then you probably should file a feature request with the commons-lang folks ?

Tom